Question

Group Messages

• 2 August 2023
  • 9 replies

I can only receive individual messages from a newly created group chat and I can’t see any function to activate this on iPhone. Any tips? 
Thanks. 

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What iPhone application are you using for your group chat @Brian Gardiner?

I’m just using iMessage. I created a group today and I received each reply individually. Any old groups don’t seem to be affected in the same way. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What do Apple say about this @Brian Gardiner?

The iMessage app is 100% an Apple product, which requires a Wi-Fi or mobile data connection to work. It seems that you’re able to send and receive iMessage messages, which suggests your Wi-Fi or mobile data connections are all working correctly. 

Could the problem be that ID do not support this feature?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry, I thought you were trying to setup an iMessage group? 

iMessage is Apple, and MMS is iD Mobile.
If you want an MMS group, it’s possible iD Mobile don’t support this feature, especially if it’s not visible in the iPhone Settings app.

Apple explain iPhone group messages online at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202724

Sorry that was my poor communication. Looks like they don’t support it which seems somewhat of a basic function. I’ll call them later and ask and if not, switch. 
Thanks for your time. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately @Brian Gardiner, there’s stuff, e.g. being able to edit  APN setting for mobile data on iPhone, which isn’t available with iD Mobile.

I suppose iD might argue most customers use iMessage, RCS with Google Messages, WhatsApp, TikTok, SnapChat, etcetera, so there’s no need for MMS network services like MMS group messaging. I’d be surprised if iD decided to support group MMS messages.
🤞

The “Group Messaging” option might need to be supported by the network provider, otherwise it might not be visible in iPhone settings.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry that was my poor communication. Looks like they don’t support it which seems somewhat of a basic function. I’ll call them later and ask and if not, switch. 
Thanks for your time. 

MMS message aren’t included in an iD plan allowance.
Each MMS you send on iD Mobile is charged according to the following:

Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Hey @Brian Gardiner, @andewhite

Interesting thread, it’s the first I’ve ever heard of Group MMS messages. Assuming all networks charge for messages classed as MMS outside of iMessenger or Google messages? So a sending MMS groups would work out quite expensive? 

@Brian Gardiner - do all the contacts in your group have an iPhone? or is it a mix between Android and iOS? 

Thanks,

Nikhil

Why iD Mobile?