Solved

Handset / airtime Costs

• 20 October 2023
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1

Is there any way for me to get confirmation of the Handset portion of my contract? I’m sure I’m not the first person to ask as Insurers need the cost of the device when purchased and Airtime isn’t covered.

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by andewhite 23 October 2023, 15:04

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Colonel888,

Welcome to the Community!

Our contracts are charged in a full package.

We don’t offer or breakdown charges separately as the tariff is charged in one price.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @Colonel888,

Welcome to the Community!

Our contracts are charged in a full package.

We don’t offer or breakdown charges separately as the tariff is charged in one price.

Kash

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately it's just another reason I'm so happy my contract finished last week. Phone insurers insure the device. Can you think of any other way customer can provide proof of cost to an insurer? Or is it the case the ID customers can't/shouldn't insure their ID phones as if they need to claim in the future they cannot provide a proof of purchase, which every single insurer requires?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Colonel888 

We absolutely do and can provide a proof of purchase, just that the price of the monthly plan does not split the device and SIM card, it’s all one price.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @Colonel888 

We absolutely do and can provide a proof of purchase, just that the price of the monthly plan does not split the device and SIM card, it’s all one price.

Tom

But you must understand that insurers done insure airtime yes?

If you can't prove how much you paid for a device you cannot claim for it, or not for anywhere near it's value.

They'll happily provide the insurance by your "value", but that changes when you need to claim.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Most UK mobile operators do not breakdown a handset contract into handset price + line rental.

UK insurers will be aware of this fact - perhaps the insurance company is just trying to wriggle out of their liability to pay your claim @Colonel888

Userlevel 1

Most UK mobile operators do not breakdown a handset contract into handset price + line rental.

UK insurers will be aware of this fact - perhaps the insurance company is just trying to wriggle out of their liability to pay your claim @Colonel888

That’s what I would expect, but they’re actually trying to increase the claim amount, weirdly. Without proof of cost they’ll pay the single item limit minus deprecation. But they’re doing what they can so that with proof of cost the deprecation will be taken off that, resulting in an amount higher than the single article limit, so they’ll pay the full limit. 

Have you ever known anyone to make a claim on Mobile insurance without providing proof of how much they paid for the insured item?

Userlevel 1

EE - do

Vodafone - do

Three - do

o2 - do

Which are the other at least 5 providers that don’t?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you ever known anyone to make a claim on Mobile insurance without providing proof of how much they paid for the insured item?

Sounds like good insurance @Colonel888.
I’m just a forum member like you, so not privy to iD Mobile processes around proof of purchase. 

Can the insurer not find the RRP of the handset at the time of your purchase?  

Userlevel 1

Sounds like good insurance @Colonel888.
I’m just a forum member like you, so not privy to iD Mobile processes around proof of purchase. 

Can the insurer not find the RRP of the handset at the time of your purchase?  

Yeah I’ve provided that, especially as the phone was pre ordered and everybody sold it at the same price. But I understand why they’d need proof. 

It’s cover through a salary sacrifice in work, I assume that’s why they’re being more helpful than expected! although it looks like I wont succeed and my claim will be for less than the phone is worth, a lot less.

I just think it’s information that should be available that if customers wish to insure their £1k devices they’ll never make a successful claim for anywhere near their value/cost.  

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps better to stick with EE, O2, Three and Vodafone if you’re planning on insuring your device. 

Userlevel 1

Perhaps better to stick with EE, O2, Three and Vodafone if you’re planning on insuring your device. 

Exactly what I’ve done, I switched to Vodafone last week 😏

That quote is what I will be warning as many people as possible of, it’s nice a legend agrees!

Why iD Mobile?