Question

How do I change My Phone Number in 'About phone' on pixel 7

• 1 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

I have recently purchased a Pixel 7 mobile and am unable to receive text messages or verification codes. This is becoming extremely frustrating that I can not speak with anyone, as I have tried various suggestions to sort this problem online and am still not further forward.

I can now see in ‘About Phone’ that the phone number is showing as ‘Unknown’ for both sim slots. I would really appreciate some advice or support with this, as I can not pay any of  my bills until this issue is sorted?

If I can not get a solution to this I will have no other choice than to cancel my contract and go with a provider that has a customer service with real people!

I am also unable to set up an online account, as the number they are asking me for is the number I was originally given by ID. However I have switched to my old number and this number is showing as unrecognised!

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This is a strange situation @Wayne Hartley

iD Mobile sell the Google Pixel 7 handset, and yet it isn’t currently listed as being supported for use on their mobile network - go figure?

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

Have you tried a NETWORK RESET on your device @Wayne Hartley

Userlevel 1

Actually yes, I have already tried this

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Another trick that might work - login to your Google Account (used with your Pixel 7) in a web browser. Then check the Personal info section - your Contact info includes a phone number.

Otherwise, you could try:- 

1. Turn off “Chat features” in the Messages app.
  2. Turn off the device.
  3. Remove the SIM card and check it’s clean and not visibly damaged.
  4. Wait at least 30-minutes.
  5. Insert the SIM card.
  6. Restart your device.

Userlevel 1

Thanks I will try this now

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Wayne Hartley 

Are you unable to receive all SMS texts?

Or just one time password (OTP) codes?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your support, this has now been sorted 😀

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you for your support, this has now been sorted 😀

That’s good to know @Wayne Hartley - are you able to share the fix that worked with your Pixel 7 handset?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The phone number listed within about section on Android has no bearing on text messaging. It’s there purely for informational purposes. This can only be edited on a select few handsets such as those made by Oppo. It cannot be altered on a Pixel device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Wayne Hartley,

Glad to hear that it has been sorted.

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?