Question

How on Earth do I get a replacement SIM?

• 25 January 2024
  • 8 replies

This is insane. Never use ID Mobile!

I had my phone stolen on a weekend. On the Monday I ordered a new ID Mobile SIM card via Currys as it suggests you do on this very website. After 2 days or so the SIM card arrived at my local Currys store so I picked up the SIM. You can only purchase pre-paid pay-as-you-go ID Mobile SIM cards from Currys, but since it said it on this website I assumed they could simply switch your number over to the new SIM. 

Bare in mind, I had already blocked my old SIM and handset via the ID Mobile user online portal. You can’t order a new SIM card directly from the user portal like every other mobile phone network in the country. You also can’t activate a new SIM manually via the user portal, you have to talk to an agent via ID Mobile’s Live Chat. So I went to the Live Chat module and got through to an agent who said they can activate my new replacement SIM for me, so I read out the code on the new SIM card and the agent said it might take up to an hour to take effect and I might also need to restart my phone. 

By the end of the day, after restarting my handset a couple of times, hours since the Live Chat agent had said the new replacement SIM should have been activated with my original number carried over, it wasn’t. So the following day I got back on the Live Chat module and spoke to a different agent who again activated my SIM card (as if the previous agent the day before hadn’t done anything, there was no evidence from my second conversation that the SIM had been activated). Yet again, the SIM card did not activated within 24 hours. I was become quite infuriated since there was an ID Mobile SIM card inside my handset! 

The next day I again got onto the Live Chat module, spoke to yet another ID Mobile agent, and this time I explained in great detail my kafkaesk situation. The third agent told me they would send another replacement SIM directly to me, something I suspected I should have done right at the beginning. Then the agent logged off before I could ask what to do when I receive my new SIM in the post. There was no evidence that the SIM had been sent to me, no email confirmation, nothing. The agent had said it would arrive in 2-3 working days. It has now been over a week and there is no sign of it in the mail. I checked my account to make sure the address was correct, it was. 

So my question is this: how on Earth does one get a replacement SIM? 

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The Live Chat can be a lottery at times, @Jesse1234. It sounds like your iD account is still being blocked, after you reported your stolen phone + SIM. 

Any replacement SIM cards would only work if your network account was unblocked.

Ah interesting! 

Thanks for the reply. How can I unblocked my iD account? There doesn’t seem to be a setting on my account portal – so presumably through the Live Chat?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, Live Chat - otherwise, you can message privately via social media using Facebook Messenger, or X (formerly Twitter) DM. 

The advisors work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends).

Thanks!

I just spoke to Live Chat again, they reassured me my account is not blocked. Again, the agent said they’ll activated my SIM card but it hasn’t started working yet. Not sure what to do from here. Every time I speak to an agent it seems like they think the SIM card currently in my phone hasn’t been activated, and then proceed to activate it for me.

This is the third time an agent has told me the SIM card has been activated.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Maybe try iD support via social media - in my experience, the help & support via iD social media channels is much better. 

Otherwise, perhaps seek assistance in-store at Currys.

Seems more than a coincidence these issues have happened after reporting your phone + SIM stolen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jesse1234 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

To obtain a replacement SIM card, start by reaching out to your mobile service provide alike sim registration . You can typically do this by calling their customer service hotline, visiting their website, or going to a physical store. Once you've made contact, you'll likely need to verify your identity, so have your account details, such as your phone number, account number, and any relevant identification handy. Let the customer service representative know that you need a replacement SIM card and explain the reason (e.g., lost, damaged, or stolen). They will guide you through the process, which may involve paying a small fee for the replacement card. Once your request is processed, you'll receive the new SIM card, which you'll need to activate following the provided instructions. After activation, you can start using your phone with the new SIM card as usual.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Zekere09 

It’s worth noting that replacement SIM cards are all free on iD Mobile.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?