How to use your Google Pixel Watch

• 9 November 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge

If you’ve recently got a Google Pixel Watch, and a Google Pixel or Android phone, here’s how to connect and use your watch: 

Can I connect my Pixel Watch to the iD Mobile network? 

iD Mobile currently do not support eSIM, meaning you won’t be able to use some of the features that require 4G/LTE connectivity in order to function. 

However, you are still able to use the Pixel Watch features that come with using Bluetooth/Wi-Fi connectivity.  

Read on to find out more about the features available. 

How do I connect my Google Pixel Watch to my phone? 

To activate your Google Pixel Watch and connect it to your phone, you simply need to pair your watch to your phone using Bluetooth. Once paired to your phone via Bluetooth for the first time, all you will need is:

A nearby Wi-Fi connection

or

Any Google Pixel or Android phone running Android 8.0 or newer.

What features can I use when I connect my Google Pixel Watch to Wi-Fi/Bluetooth?

If you want to make or receive calls on your watch, you’ll need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network and have a compatible phone nearby. 

Below is the full list of features you can use when your Google Pixel Watch is connected to Wi-Fi, or paired to a compatible phone via Bluetooth:

What features can I use if my Google Pixel Watch isn’t connected to Wi-Fi or a phone via Bluetooth?

You won't be able to use voice actions, but you can still use the following features on the watch:

• Tell the time and display the date.
  • Set an alarm.
  • Use the stopwatch.
  • Use the timer.
  • View your calendar for today.
  • Display your step count.
  • Display your heart rate (if your watch has this feature).
  • Change your watch face.
  • Put your watch in aeroplane mode.
  • Listen to pre-downloaded music on your watch.

9 replies

Very disappointed by this, as before purchasing a new contract with a pixel 7 pro and pixel watch I did live chat with ID weeks ago who said that the pixel watch will support full LTE features on the network. This is very disappointing as I would have gone with a different network if I’d have known this was the case 😐 Clearly additional training is needed. 

Just got my pixel watch delivered today and google searches how to set it up brought me straight to this. 

Are there any plans to add the feature? The feature has been out for years on other network ID & Three are seriously lacking behind on this. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The feature has been out for years on other network ID & Three are seriously lacking behind on this. 

Three UK mobile don’t seem enthusiastic about investing in the network infrastructure needed for eSIM support. MVNO companies are unlikely to provide eSIM support before their host mobile network offers that capability.

To start using an eSIM on an EE SIM only plan, you need to get a physical SIM first and convert to an eSIM. I think it’s the same with O2, you get a physical SIM first, and need to convert to an eSIM - not really how this technology was expected to work.

Good luck @sheng

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@sheng,

I hope that @andewhite was able to answer your question.

However if there is any further assistance or information you require, please let us know here.

Kash

@sheng,

I hope that @andewhite was able to answer your question.

However if there is any further assistance or information you require, please let us know here.

Kash

Hi Kash.

It doesn’t really help unfortunately 😞 But it seems like nothing can be done. It does feel like a stab in the back since I even took the effort to check with ID before purchasing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @sheng 

Sorry about that.

We do hope such a featue is available in the future, but no plans at this moment in time.

Mohammed

As Three now support eSims is ID network going to start supporting this?

eSIM Support | Three

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

As Three now support eSims is ID network going to start supporting this?

eSIM Support | Three

Good news @snail74 - however, currently seems Three have limited eSIM availability to their “Three Your Way” plans.

As it’s the network operator that provisions the SIM/eSIM, even if Three have support for eSIM plans, it doesn’t necessarily follow iD Mobile will do likewise - iD are actually a different network operator.

I wonder if iD will have eSIM options soon?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

We don’t currently have any plans at the moment for eSIM support unfortunately.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks for the feedback @Tom.

I don’t anticipate any MVNO operators will offer eSIM options until the UK mobile network operators have adapted their mobile networks to handle the remote provisioning needed for eSIM products.

There may be additional work required to ensure PAC and STAC transfer processes still work: SIM to SIM, eSIM to SIM, SIM to eSIM, and eSIM to eSIM.

I guess this could take longer than expected.

Why iD Mobile?