Solved

iMessage/ FaceTime activation unsuccessful

• 28 June 2023
  • 20 replies

Hi all,

I’ve seen this number of articles about this and just spend all morning onto Apple support about this as well.

I upgraded from a iPhone 12 to iPhone 14 and I have continually got the message for both iMessage and FaceTime that activation was unsuccessful for 48 hours now.   I thought it was due to Apple, however putting my sim I have for work (Lebara mobile) and bingo both FaceTime and iMessage were activated successfully all in around 60 seconds. 

put my ID mobile sim back in (it’s my main contact number!) and we end up with activation unsuccessful.

ID mobile, what’s up, why wont this work?  FYI I did port my number from 3, but that was over 6 months ago! 

can someone please help with this as it’s clearly not an Apple issue, but ID MOBILE

icon

Best answer by Steven MacMillan 28 August 2023, 16:56

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Did you use the same AppleID on the iPhone 14 as used with your iPhone 12 @Steven MacMillan?

When you sign-in online at https://appleid.apple.com/sign-in, is the iD Mobile number only linked to your iPhone 14 device (in Devices)?

Have you got a STRONG Three UK mobile signal in the location you’re using your iPhone 14 to activate iMessage and FaceTime on your iPhone 14?

Hi, yes it the same number in my Apple ID.  Done a transfer between the 2 and everything copied over correctly.

I’ve got a strong mobile signal here, never had an issue with it either on Three or with ID mobile ( since they use the same network) 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Steven MacMillan, when you sign-in online at https://appleid.apple.com/sign-in, the iD Mobile number is only linked to your iPhone 14 device? 

Is your iPhone 12 still shown online under “Devices” for your AppleID?

Hi,

I have removed the iPhone 12 from the my devices list and the phone has been wiped. it’s only my iPhone 14 listed under there now. 

no issue when I add my work phone sim in there but the ID mobile sim doesn’t work.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Steven MacMillan, I assume the iD SIM works in your iPhone 14 when calling (incoming/outgoing)?

With iMessage TURNED OFF, can you send/receive by SMS with the iD SIM card in your iPhone 14?

With your iD SIM in your iPhone 14, is the phone number correct in the below settings?

• Settings > Phone > My Number
  • Settings > AppleID > Name, Phone Number, Email - CONTACTABLE AT 

Yes the same number is in both, but it won’t let me select my number in contactable, it keeps coming up with activation unsuccessful, same for FaceTime.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Steven MacMillan, I assume your iD SIM works in your iPhone 14 handset when calling (both incoming/outgoing)?

With iMessage TURNED OFF, can you send/receive by SMS, with iD SIM card in your iPhone 14?

No I can’t send any messages when I turn iMessage off, most of my contacts use iMessage and I can’t send anything to them, even trying to send it to there number directly as a SMS

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Steven MacMillan, iPhone handsets should use SMS for text messages whenever iMessage (an Apple service) is unavailable.

If your iPhone 14 can’t send an SMS when using your iD SIM card, it sounds like there’s an issue with your iD SIM card, or your iD account @Steven MacMillan

I think the quickest way to resolve your issue is get in-touch with iD Mobile customer service, using their online live chat. Alternatively, contact iD privately using Facebook Messenger, or by Twitter DM.

The support teams work until 8pm on weekdays.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Steven MacMillan 

Please could you try resetting the network settings and checking the number in the settings?

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Then;

Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 

Let us know how you get on.

Tom

Nope, I’d already done that with Apple and it didn’t do anything 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

By default, iOS makes your iPhone use SMS if iMessage isn’t avaialble. 

This option is controlled by Settings > Messages > Send as SMS, which is usually toggled ON. Maybe your iPhone 14 turned this OFF?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Steven MacMillan 

Have you been able to try the above from @andewhite?

Tom

Hi all,

I’ve seen this number of articles about this and just spend all morning onto Apple support about this as well.

I upgraded from a iPhone 12 to iPhone 14 and I have continually got the message for both iMessage and FaceTime that activation was unsuccessful for 48 hours now.   I thought it was due to Apple, however putting my sim I have for work (Lebara mobile) and bingo both FaceTime and iMessage were activated successfully all in around 60 seconds. 

put my ID mobile sim back in (it’s my main contact number!) and we end up with activation unsuccessful.

ID mobile, what’s up, why wont this work?  FYI I did port my number from 3, but that was over 6 months ago! 

can someone please help with this as it’s clearly not an Apple issue, but ID MOBILE

Hi, I am going through this exact problem at the moment and ID aren’t being very helpful. Did you ever resolve this? 

Hi all,

Hi, I am going through this exact problem at the moment and ID aren’t being very helpful. Did you ever resolve this? 

Yes, by moving to o2, they gave me a better sim only deal at £5 a month for double the data of o2…… I did notice though the day before I switched that the activation was successful but it took around 24-48 hours.  When I activated my o2 account and ported my number it took them less than a minute! It’s definitely and ID issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Amy Jayne 

Has your port completed?

Have you tried resetting the network settings?

Tom

Yeah, I’ve tried everything. Waiting on ID technical team to look into it, but it’ll take another 48 hours. It’s already been 48 hours since getting the phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Amy Jayne 

Okay, please keep an eye out for an update from the tech team on this if it’s already been raised.

Tom

It randomly verified itself Monday night which was just over 48 hours since it started. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Amy Jayne 

Glad to hear that’s sorted.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?