Question

Is there a problem with the network text gateway? I am not getting texts from banks etc

• 15 February 2024
  • 14 replies

For the last few days, I have not been able to receive text messages with codes for two factor authentication from banks, government etc on my iPhone. This is becoming a serious problem for me. Is there an issue with the text gateway on the network? Or is it just me?

14 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

My 2FA text messages are working okay, @Richardwg. I also use an iPhone. 

If it is just me can anyone suggest why?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

These 2FA text messages typically originate from an organisation’s computer systems, @Richardwg. 

Perhaps some organisations have changed their systems, or changed their bulk SMS service provider, which means the network routing for the text messages will have changed. 

Otherwise, perhaps the mobile number on record is incorrect, or your iD SIM has a fault, or your iD network accounts is misconfigured, or maybe you’ve updated your iOS recently?

In addition, Three UK (the iD Mobile network partner) have had several major network incidents recently (9th, 10th, 12th Feb ‘24) which affected call, text and data services for many customers using the Three UK network. Apparently the root cause has since been isolated and fixed.

I think if the UK government or one of the major banks had changed their SMS provider, it would affect a lot more people than just me! I haven’t changed my mobile number for years so there is no reason why their records should be incorrect. If the iD SIM was at fault, or my account was misconfigured, wouldn’t that affect all my texts not just the 2FA ones? My problem does seem to coincide with the Three outages which first affected me on Saturday. That’s why I wondered if there was a problem with the Three SMS gateway used by third parties to send texts to customers. Perhaps someone from iD can tell me?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Good luck with getting an answer from someone at iD Mobile about this, @Richardwg. 

Although this is old fashioned, but have you tried: 

1. Turn OFF your handset.
  2. Remove the SIM and check it’s clean and undamaged.
  3. Wait for at least 1-hour.
  4. Insert the SIM.
  5. Turn ON your handset. 

Trying this overnight might be more convenient?

Still don’t understand why a dirty SIM would only stop 2FA texts. Everything else is working fine.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Is your SIM dirty?

Recent Three UK network incidents seem to have caused quite a few unexpected effects, for many customers at iD Mobile, SMARTY and Three UK, as evidenced by posts in the online communities of each network.

Many customers appear to have got things working again, after restarting their devices. I’ve suggested removing the SIM card to ensure the handset is definitely disconnected from the network, before reconnecting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Richardwg 

We have had a recent outage that we apologise for, we believe services are back up and running, it may be worth rebooting your device to test.

Does your device’s settings have the correct phone number displayed?

Have you tried a network settings reset?

For iPhone;

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

For Android;

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom

Thanks for all the replies. I am still in the dark about what could have caused this problem and, therefore, what is the best solution. I am reluctant to reset all my network settings if it means losing all the wifi and Bluetooth details for the multiple networks I use. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Richardwg,

Please can you try the network reset and let us know how you get on.

If you continue to have the same issue we can send you a PM.

Kash

With a network reset is there any way to save all the settings for all the wifi networks I belong to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Richardwg 

I don’t believe there is unfortunately.

Tom

Hi Tom, I still don’t understand why resetting my network settings will fix a problem with specific texts when all the rest are working fine. I haven’t changed anything on my phone. Also, I still don’t know how to save and restore all the wifi settings that I need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Richardwg 

The network settings reset resets the network settings on the device and SIM card, this can be helpful to ensure that the settings on the SIM card are the correct default ones.

I do not believe there is a way to save and restore Wi-Fi settings, unless there is a feature on your device I am unaware of.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?