Solved

Network maintenance

For the last 3 days I’ve had no service during the day until 3 or 4 pm.  The checker tool says there’s network maintenance in progress.  How can I find out if the disruption will continue for much longer? 

If relevant, it’s the 3G service that’s unavailable (4G coverage is always borderline here) 

icon

Best answer by andewhite 9 June 2022, 18:01

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The network maintenance might be linked to work three are doing to shutdown their 3G network (see here), before end of 2024.

Use the Live Chat service to get more information about the works affecting you.

After connecting on the online chat, just type “talk to a person” - then you’ll get someone in the customer service team.

The team works 9am - 8pm weekdays and 9am - 6pm weekends.

You can also get assistance by contacting iD privately via their facebook page or Twitter page.

Day 4 - Still no service. 

Thanks for advice.  It was a largely unproductive waste of an hour.  Lots of valueless comments thanking me for my patience, how everyone is working hard and how confident they are it will be fixed soon. Ultimately too keen to fob me off with compensation to go away. 

Bottom line is they claim it’s unplanned work so not 4G, and whatever their contact with Three, Customer Services could not tell me anything about it or for how much longer the outages will continue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @AliceW, sorry to hear about this. The truth is, by their very nature, it’s very difficult to predict when an unplanned outage might be fixed. Mobile networks are complex beasts and there could be a number of reasons why a mast isn’t operating as it should, and there can be all sort of logistical problems in fixing them.

I appreciate that doesn’t help you, however, and it must be a frustrating time for you. Are you not able to use Wi-Fi at the affected postcode?

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

For the last 3 days I’ve had no service during the day until 3 or 4 pm.  The checker tool says there’s network maintenance in progress. 

You’d hope that iD and their network partner three would, at the very least, be able to tell the enquiring customer if it was planned or unplanned works causing the problem - and if it was planned work, provide the expected end date for the works.

Even if it was an unplanned outage on the first day (I can’t be sure), Three had restored service later in the afternoon.  The same pattern then repeated for the next few days.  If it had been an unknown cause, on day 2 the engineers should have repeated the fix applied on day 1, but they didn’t.  Days 2-4 were all the same which indicates these were intentional. 

Three’s network status still shows work in this area but I’ve had no outage today, so your suggested ‘talk to a person’ seemed to help me break through.  I definitely seemed to get attention after I then pasted Three’s URL with the Network status for the postcode showing network maintenance in progress.  That may help others.

Hey @AliceW, sorry to hear about this. The truth is, by their very nature, it’s very difficult to predict when an unplanned outage might be fixed. Mobile networks are complex beasts and there could be a number of reasons why a mast isn’t operating as it should, and there can be all sort of logistical problems in fixing them.

I appreciate that doesn’t help you, however, and it must be a frustrating time for you. Are you not able to use Wi-Fi at the affected postcode?

Thank you,

Rory

Rory - Thanks for the suggestion but this was about the ability to receive calls and text messages not wifi.    

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @AliceW, if your handset offers WiFi Calling, then by using the iD WiFi Call service you can:

• make outgoing and get incoming calls
  • send and receive text messages

I rely on the iD WiFi Call service where I live as the indoor mobile coverage is less than ideal.

WiFi Calling can be useful in locations where the network coverage is bad or non-existent, but you’ve got WiFI network available.

Why iD Mobile?