Question

New Sim Card

Userlevel 1

My monthly phone contract is over and I have opted for a sim only deal to pay on a monthly basis.

When I filled in my details it seemed that I could keep my old number because I was an iD customer. After reading articles I am no longer sure... do I need to do something to keep my current number when my new Sim arrives?

Do I need to cancel my original monthly phone contract? If so how do I do that? I don't want to get caught out and not have an active plan if I cancel but don't have my new Sim yet.

17 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you followed procedures in the forum article “Pay monthly upgrades: Everything you need to know”, and upgraded while logged in to the iD app, or your iD account online, then you’ll keep your number and the ‘old’ plan will be superseded by the SIM only plan.

Some people purchase a new iD contract instead of upgrading (or changing) their existing contract, which leads to issues if they want to keep their number. 

🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Kristine Mckay,

Please let us know if you still require assistance with this.

If so we can PM you and assist further.

Kash

Userlevel 1

It looks like I've been given a new number with the new SIM. I have got my PAC number but its not letting me submit it to keep my old number. Is that a feature for new iD customers only? I would like to keep my number but don't see the option to do it. I had logged into my iD account to get the new SIM deal but there wasn't an option to keep my old number. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It looks like I've been given a new number with the new SIM. I have got my PAC number but its not letting me submit it to keep my old number. Is that a feature for new iD customers only? I would like to keep my number but don't see the option to do it. I had logged into my iD account to get the new SIM deal but there wasn't an option to keep my old number. 

It appears that somehow a new iD contract was purchased instead of an upgrade for an already existing iD contract.

Unfortunately, you can’t use a PAC to transfer a number from one iD account to another iD account.
🤔

Userlevel 1

So I can't keep my old number?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It sounds like you’ve already got the PAC for the iD mobile number you want to keep @Kristine Mckay.

1. Just give your iD PAC to a PAYG service provider, e.g. giffgaff, ASDA mobile, etcetera.
  2. Wait until the number you want to keep is working properly with your new service provider, chosen in step 1).
  3. Get a PAC from your new PAYG service provider.
  4. Give the PAC from step 3) to iD, to use with the iD account SIM only deal you want to keep.

After several days, you should hopefully have the number you want to keep linked to your new iD SIM only deal. 
🤞

Userlevel 1

Do I need to buy another Sim off a new service provider? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Do I need to buy another Sim off a new service provider? 

No, I think giffgaff will give you a free PAYG SIM, and so will ASDA mobile. 
🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Kristine Mckay,

The correct way would be to upgrade your existing contract then contact us to process a return for the new contract you purchased by accident.

But you can also triangle port as above, however, you can’t re-use the same username.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hopefully my final question!

I am in the process of getting my number transferred across. Would I need to ensure my old plan is cancelled on my iD number before I activate my new sim card and transfer my iD number to it with the Sim only deal? Or is there a different sequence I should follow?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Kristine Mckay, are you following the procedure shown below?

If yes, then which step have you reached?

Userlevel 1

I have given my iD PAC to GiffGaff and now waiting for it to work properly. 

I am hoping to do step 3 tomorrow if all goes well.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Kristine Mckay, once giffgaff have processed your PAC from iD Mobile, they’ll arrange for your old iD account to be closed, which usually happens the day after your number gets transferred from iD.
🤞

Userlevel 1

So I will not need to cancel the original iD plan myself?

Will I be prompted to create a new iD account when I get my new iD Sim activated?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, when you give a PAC to your new service provider, it’s their job to see that your old account is closed @Kristine Mckay.

Your new iD SIM card is already active, and ready to use with the number iD initially allocated. 

If you want to manage your new iD account online, or using the iD app, you’ll need to register again for another “My iD Account” @Kristine Mckay
You’ll need to have a new username (email address) to use with the new iD account, because iD Mobile require each iD account online to have a unique username.

Userlevel 1

Thank you 😊 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

Usage of a PAC code to another provider will automatically cancel the account with the network you’re moving from.

Thanks for the help here @andewhite.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?