Question

No 5g?

• 8 December 2022
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I’m new to IDM, and since joining i have never had 5g. (i travel around for my work, to places i KNOW have “three 5g” enabled. as it used to work on previous provider - Smarty who also use Three’s network)

Can you check and see if perhaps 5g wasn’t enabled on my NEW account? (even though order said 5g)

Or perhaps i need to enable it on my phone (which would be weird being it a brand new phone) - google pixel 7 pro.

Kindest

Jordan

17 replies

I get 5G on my phone with ID (I have a Motorola Edge 20 Pro) and I'm on the outskirts of Ludlow (according to Threes coverage we're not supposed to have 5G here - but hey my phone says its receiving a 5G signal - I think the centre of Ludlow has 5G so its travelling about 3 miles down the road!).   I didnt used to get 5G on my old provider (Lebara/Vodafone) 

The first thing you need to check is go into

Settings, then Network & Internet

and then Mobile Network

and select ID Mobile,

then check preferred Network Type - that should read 5G/4G/3G

If it doesn't change it 

Userlevel 1

Hello, tried their first it didn’t have that section

Just had an update today, and voila it is now their. must have been a pixel issue!!! - however, i need to go into town (will be their tomorrow) to test (my house doesnt get 5g)

Please hold for my next reply.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Just had an update today, and voila it is now their. must have been a pixel issue!!! - however, i need to go into town (will be their tomorrow) to test (my house doesnt get 5g)

Okay @justjord1990, what’s is really bizarre is iD sell the Pixel 7 and yet it is NOT included on their approved handset list at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

This what iD say about “Approved Handsets”:

“If your device is not on the list, it means your ability to use iD services may be affected.”

Go figure 🤔

Userlevel 1

Okay @justjord1990, what’s is really bizarre is iD sell the Pixel 7 and yet it is NOT included on their approved handset list at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

This what iD say about “Approved Handsets”:

“If your device is not on the list, it means your ability to use iD services may be affected.”

Go figure 🤔

that is actually really… bad. really really bad.

Annoyingly if i wanted to quit out my contract i can’t, im past the cooling off period. :/

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

So @justjord1990, it becomes even more bizarre - iD list the Pixel 7 on their 5G compatibility list… 

How you can be approved for 5G, and yet not be an approved handset is very mysterious.

Good luck @justjord1990

It is bizarre that any network would need to provide an 'approved' list for phones anyway - most phones are designed to be used with any network as long as they've been unlocked and are made for the right country.  I think generally what they mean by 'approved' is possibly more 'it might work butour customer service team won't be able to help if you have a problem' - on my home internet I have a none approved router for my ISP - doesnt mean it won't work - just means their tech guys aren't trained in that router so they might not know where the specific settings are (Although once I did call them up for support and the guy knew the router straight away and was like wow you've got a good router -  I can see why you didn't use our freebie router!! (I have a Netgear Nighthawk)) 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed @TheKLF99, I’d agree but retailing a device which is on one list but not another just gives iD an excuse to not help the customer.

Getting help & support from iD is often difficult without facing additional hurdles.

Userlevel 1

So, unfortunately it wasn’t an update issue. still no 5g.

Can some one from ID investigate please?/advise! - its a bit shit i can’t speak to someone at tech support. issues like this make me wanna cancel my contract.

Userlevel 1

So, still no luck with 5g. the update didn’t fix it.

Can i get help please?

Userlevel 1

So, still no luck with 5g. the update didn’t fix it.

Can i get help please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @justjord1990 

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with the Pixel 7 Pro’s 5G capabilities, have you tried resetting the network settings to see if this kicks anything into action?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom, yes i have. 3 times.

I work in IT so ive done the basic troubleshooting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @justjord1990,

I understand you’re using the Pixel 7?

Are you seeing the 5G option showing under the Mobile Network Settings whe selecting the preferred network? Or is this option not available?

Did you purchase the handset from us with the contract SIM or did you buy your own handset?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hey @justjord1990,

I understand you’re using the Pixel 7?

Are you seeing the 5G option showing under the Mobile Network Settings whe selecting the preferred network? Or is this option not available?

Did you purchase the handset from us with the contract SIM or did you buy your own handset?

Mohammed

HI Mohammed.

Yes it is an option and yes it is selected (i even changed to prefer 4g and then switched back to prefer 5g.

Yes i ordered it from your website. And at time of checkout it said '5g plan'

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@justjord1990,

It may be worth seeing which specific areas offer 5G.

You’ll need to ensure that you are in a 5G area via the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage#coverage-info

If you confirm the postcode that you are trying it at we can check this out and ensure that we offer 5G and that there are no issues in the area.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I’m new to IDM, and since joining i have never had 5g. (i travel around for my work, to places i KNOW have “three 5g” enabled. as it used to work on previous provider - Smarty who also use Three’s network)

Can you check and see if perhaps 5g wasn’t enabled on my NEW account? (even though order said 5g)

Or perhaps i need to enable it on my phone (which would be weird being it a brand new phone) - google pixel 7 pro.

Kindest

Jordan

THIS IS HOW TO ENABLE 5G WITH ID USING ANY ANDROID PHONE. PLEASE READ.

Recently switched over to ID mobile from Three and I thought nothing of it as when I did my research I seen that they use threes network so kind of assumed the switch would make 0 difference to my service whilst saving me £6 a month🤷

How wrong I was It took them 6 hours to transfer my number over leaving me with no mobile network for 6 hours the last time I switched from virgin to three it took about 2 minutes for the number transfer. 

Once activated my phone was only giving me the option to prefer 4g or 3g. 5g was totally missing. I entered my dad's three SIM into my phone and the 5g option reappeared. 

Once on live chat to ID to ask why I wasn't seeing 5g they tell me that only a select number of devices which they them selfs have tested and verified can use the 5g service I was mortified but I knew they must be some sort of work around to bypass this as they are using threes network who I had been using for 5g for the past year and a half.  You can dial *#*#4636#*#* on any android phone or download an app called force 5g from the play store and it will open up a network select option and shows you every network available no more hidden networks by your SIM provider pick any network that has NR as the first choice and select that it will then overide the 4g signal your network is giving you to 5g as long as the phone it's self supports 5g obviously.

When you go back to the preferred network type of your phone in the menu it will simply show invalid netwrok but the 5g works absolutely fine with no issues just ignore that.

Userlevel 1

Hello all,

Sorry, completely forgot about this post.

So it turns out it was GOOGLE that was blocking me from using 5g.

Basically, i CAN use 5g on my google pixel 7 pro, BUT only if i have battery saver off.

I use my phone constantly, so i can’t do this. battery saver is constantly on. - thus if i ever want to use 5g and know im in a 5g area, i have to turn off battery saver, temporarily. - annoying! maybe Android 14 will change this… this is NOT a thing on other phones i’ve used. nice one google -.-

Why iD Mobile?