Question

OTP from bank not arriving

• 4 December 2023
  • 10 replies

I have recently moved to iD and received a new phone and sim which I have ported my original number to. I can receive OTP from every service, including Amazon, delivery services and video streaming services, but I never receive my OTP messages from my bank. This has caused massive issues for me as I cannot conduct online or mobile banking. I have checked the message settings and refreshed the RCS chats etc but this hasnt fixed it.

I have checked with the bank and they have stated there is no issue their side.  I have contacted iD Live Chat but they are BEYOND USELESS. I was initially told they had raised this with the technical team and I would be contacted with updates. I received a text saying more information was needed but when i contacted the live chat again they had system issues. I contacted the complaints team as this issue has gone on for days now and they said the technical team had closed the ticket saying it was completed! I had this issue raised again and was told the technical team would contact me in 8 hours, this was over 30 hours ago now with no update.

Apologies for the essay, this is incredibly frustrating and a big issue as i cannot do anything banking.  Any help would be massively appreciated.

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Jw427, OTP messages from banks and the likes are usually generated using their own, or a supplier, computer system. These systems use application-to-person (A2P) messaging gateways to send SMS to mobile devices, instead of the usual mobile device to mobile device services. The messages will need to route through one or more (network operator) SMS service centres. 

Sometimes it appears this process breaks down, often when the mobile network routing needs to change as a result of a number transfer from one supplier to another. 

Unfortunately @Jw427, I’d not be optimistic the iD tech team can fix this issue, although I hope they do. In my experience, iD tech team is like a black-hole, stuff goes in but nothing comes out. 

If you’re using Android and have RCS chat enabled in Google Messages app, it might be worth trying the following steps:

1. Turn OFF RCS chats (“Chat features”) in the Google Messages app.
  2. Turn OFF the handset and carefully remove the iD SIM.
  3. Check the SIM card is clean and undamaged, before re-inserting the iD SIM.
  4. Turn ON the handset.
  5. Turn ON RCS chats.

hi @andewhite  thanks for the quick response. I have already tried that solution but I tried it again just to double check and it still doesnt fix the issue so still at a bit of a loss on this.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Jw427, just note that I’m a forum member like yourself.
Maybe double-check your bank have the correct mobile number on record, and it’s using 12-digit format beginning 447.

yeah i saw that, i wasnt complaining at you @andewhite haha i appreciate the help. Yeah i checked with the bank and confirmed it was correct. I guess i will have to see how the glorious iD tech team do haha!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Don’t hold your breath @Jw427

After switching it can sometimes take 48-72 hours before the SMS message routing is completely recalculated. If any longer, there could be an issue with your iD network account, which would rely on remedial action by iD Mobile, or by iD + Three UK (the iD network partner).

cheers @andewhite hopefully iD can do the remedial action then as the number was switched over last thursday 30th November 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps your switch happening on 30th Nov is part of the issue here @Jw427 - last Friday (1st Dec) Three UK had a major network incident and many thousands of customers from Three UK, SMARTY and iD Mobile were without any network services for much of the day. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jw427,

Welcome to the Community!

Just checking if you still needed help with this or if it was resolved?

If you still need some assistance we can drop you a PM.

Kash

Hi @Kash 

This has still not been resolved. When I last contacted the live chat (04/12) they said there was no update and I would be contacted however this has not happened.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jw427 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?