Question

OTP texts

• 12 November 2023
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi guys. 

I've recently ported my phone number from EE. I can receive texts from family and friends but not texts from my bank/other organisations requiring verification codes. I see this seems to be something of a recurring issue so how do I go about resolving this? 

For reference I've made sure things like RCS chats are off and I've done a full network reset etc

19 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Have you tried a NETWORK RESET on your device @Kevin B?

The device user guide would explain how to do this. 

It can sometime take 24-48 hours for some SMS services to ‘learn’ the network routing for SMS messages from banks etcetera, after a number port. OTP messages typically do not come from a mobile device, usually a computer system that requires an SMS gateway to the mobile network/s.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite I have. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm going to leave it until Wednesday to see if anything has updated itself in the airwaves.

not receiving OTP texts from Newday since transferring to iD. They say they are sending them and they must be blocked

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

not receiving OTP texts from Newday since transferring to iD. They say they are sending them and they must be blocked

Unfortunately, this is just a user forum @Bill Ellis. Your best option maybe to contact iD customer service directly.

Get in-touch using the online iD Live Chat at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat - the iD agents work until 8pm on weekdays, and they can check your iD account to see if anything from Newday is being blocked.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite just as an FYI, I received a text on Friday from ID to say the porting had been successful. How long would you give it to sort?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Is there a pattern to the non-receipt of OTP text messages @Kevin B
Is it one organisation or multiple organisations?

If mobile device to mobile device SMS is working, then it sounds like there might be an issue with the iD Mobile SMS service centre, or routing of the OTP messages from the OTP sender/s via the SMS service centre/s they use.

As number transfers don’t happen at weekends, maybe wait until Wednesday as you mentioned in an earlier post, before seeking assistance from iD Mobile.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite thanks my friend you've been a great help. 

I've tried both NatWest and Microsoft and in both cases it says a code has been sent but I don't receive anything my end.

I'll give it until Wednesday to see if anything happens in the meantime.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Kevin B,

Just checking how you got on with this?

If you haven’t received the messages, please let us know and we can PM you.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @Kevin B,

Just checking how you got on with this?

If you haven’t received the messages, please let us know and we can PM you.

Kash

Hi @Kash . I'm still not receiving the messages. I've also discovered some contacts are also unable to message me...it sends on their phone but I never receive anything

Userlevel 1

@Kash - can someone contact me please? I can now no longer receive any calls/sms texts from anyone

Userlevel 1

@andewhite - any words of wisdom my friend? Its so weird, I can receive calls/texts from ONE of my contacts (he’s got a new S23) but no others.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@andewhite - any words of wisdom my friend? Its so weird, I can receive calls/texts from ONE of my contacts (he’s got a new S23) but no others.

That’s not great @Kevin B - sounds like iD might have done something wrong to your network account, or your iD SIM card has suddenly developed a fault.

Does the iD SIM work properly in another handset?

Userlevel 1

@andewhite I've popped it into my old handset but the number shows as "unknown" when I go to the "about phone" settings. Same as this phone, I can send but not receive

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like iD support need to get this sorted @Kevin B
Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be an efficient & reliable way of getting iD Mobile to fix switching issues.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite - I can receive texts/calls from anyone using the 3 network on their own phone but nothing from anyone else. its so strange

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Strange indeed @Kevin B

You probably won’t get this fixed through posts in this forum @Kevin B - it could be worthwhile contacting iD support using one of the following channels:

• Online Live Chat at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat (via a popup window in a browser).
  • Sending private messages using Facebook Messenger.
  • Sending a DM using X (formerly Twitter).

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Kevin B,

Welcome to the Community!

Did you manage to get through to somebody and get some help with your issue?

If you still require assistance, please get back to us here.

Kash

Userlevel 1

@Kash I'm still experiencing issues. It's been ongoing for a week now and I'm getting passed from pillar to post. I had a call from 3 this afternoon but nobody spoke when I answered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Kevin B 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?