Solved

Poor reception recently

• 16 August 2023
  • 20 replies

Hi - I’ve been with ID for quite a few years without any problems.  But over the past 2-3 months, I’ve found it almost impossible to get mobile reception (4G) in the house (we haven’t moved).  It used to be I had reception 90% of the time; now it’s less than 10%.  Postcode is DG2 0TD.  How can you help?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Geluk 17 August 2023, 09:00

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Help yourself by putting postcode into id’s NETWORK COVERAGE page.

Thanks.  That tells me I have excellent reception in the house.  Which I don't!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks.  That tells me I have excellent reception in the house.  Which I don't!

Unfortunately the UK mobile service providers online coverage checkers are just a prediction of coverage at any given location based on computer models. Real world coverage, particularly indoors, could be better or worse than predicted for a given location.

The website https://mastdata.com has maps showing real world coverage for most UK locations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SD56 

I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues at your postcode, the coverage checker shows good 4G coverage although weak/no 3G/5G coverage in DG2 0TD, are you having issues just inside your house or outside too?

Tom

Outside the house is much better than inside.  Inside reception used to be passable, but has become almost impossible in the last 2-3 months, though our configuration of electronics / furniture etc has remained the same.  Have any changes taken place in masts etc?  Thanks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Outside the house is much better than inside.  Inside reception used to be passable, but has become almost impossible in the last 2-3 months, though our configuration of electronics / furniture etc has remained the same.  Have any changes taken place in masts etc?  Thanks.

If you’ve got a home Wi-Fi network, and a handset with WiFi Calling capability, perhaps consider using the iD WiFi Calling service. 
I live in a mobile not-spot, and rely on the WiFi Calling service for calls and texts indoors in my location.

If you’ve got a home Wi-Fi network, and a handset with WiFi Calling capability, perhaps consider using the iD WiFi Calling service. 
I live in a mobile not-spot, and rely on the WiFi Calling service for calls and texts indoors in my location.

Thanks, this sounds like a good option.  However, I’m struggling to find this option on my Samsung Galaxy J6, which is limited to < Android 7.0.  ID does list this model as supporting wi-fi calling, but I can’t find the option on the phone itself, even after googling solutions.  Pity.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks, this sounds like a good option.  However, I’m struggling to find this option on my Samsung Galaxy J6, which is limited to < Android 7.0.  ID does list this model as supporting wi-fi calling, but I can’t find the option on the phone itself, even after googling solutions.  Pity.

Ahh… I think WiFi Calling might’ve been introduced in Android 10 or 11.

There’s an online list of 4G Calling & WiFi Calling approved handsets, for the iD Mobile network.

Check at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

According to this list, your Samsung Galaxy J6 is approved by iD for 4G Calling & WiFI Calling. 
🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SD56 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

I’m in DG7 and have been having similar problems having originally had very good coverage both in the house and outside. Currently I have no mobile signal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @MamaCath,

Welcome to the Community!

We would advise checking the coverage tracker and network status at the link below.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage#coverage-info

The network status checker will show if any work is being carried out in the area.

If work is being carried out, that’s likely the cause of the issue.

Kash

Done that several times and all showing as good. My phone is currently showing no signal. I’m guessing it’s a network problem rather than a phone problem - iPhone XR 

Just back from a weekend at our caravan (DG54LF).  No phone signal whatsoever!  All weekend!  Every signal checker site I tried (at the local pub to get wifi!) said good signal!  It wasn’t!

Been with iD since May and had no trouble in the past in Dumfries and Galloway.

I’m off to a different network provider just as soon as I can arrange it.

That’s interesting. The signal used to be excellent so I wonder what’s going on. I don’t have calls included on my landline so I need the mobile to work. 
If this continues I’ll be looking to end my contract due to lack of service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @MamaCath 

Please could you let us know the full postcode(s) where you’ve been having issues?

How long have you been having issues here?

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @EBM 

Taking a look at DG54LF on our coverage checker it does appear that this could be a very weak area, we would expect issues here unfortunately.

Tom

I do understand that coverage isn’t that good at GD54LF but I have had no problems there since I first took  a sim with iD back in May.  I have been able to tether my tablet and TV to my phone with no problems until last week end.  I was moving around in the region and checking signal as I went.  Even in DG71LU (14 miles away) there was no signal.  Spoke with others on the caravan site who were with 3 and they were also finding the same problems - although like me seemed to be fine in the past.  There was definitely some sort of problem in Dumfries and Galloway and there should be a proper explanation for that.

In addition I am now finding my 4g signal at home in KA136RW is poor.  Coverage maps show this area to be good.  I can get a signal of sorts but my signal checker on my phone is saying -110dBm at best.

I’m in the process of sounding out a new network!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @EBM ,

For DG71LU we’re carrying out network upgrades in your area
We're sorry for any disruptions you may experience. You’ll be able to enjoy a stronger network very soon.

For KA136RW we’re fixing an issue with our network in this area. Sorry for any disruptions this may cause.
Our engineers are working on masts nearby, which means the rest of our network is handling more traffic than usual. We’re working as quickly as we can to provide you with a stronger network in your area. Status updates will be posted HERE.

Hopefully you should start seeing improvements soon.

Kash

Userlevel 1

At the risk of repeating myself, yet again I read the same advice telling us to check out service coverage which states - Great news - 4G is in your area. If your device is 4G calling compatible, you'll have excellent 4G coverage for calls, texts, and mobile internet.

But it isn’t is it? I like many have had years of trouble free calls on our Samsung Galaxy S10e’s but the past 4 weeks or so have seen us experiencing an unparalleled outage of disconnected phone calls with continued loss of data. I have been monitoring the status update which tells me there is a known issue and engineers are working on it and will soon have the service back up and running. Four weeks of shite service and not one update regarding the outage. Never one word regarding an update just the same generic bollox. You keep trotting out the same bull advice but never appear to acknowledge just how much we are being let down by Three Network. Offer some valued advice instead of treating us like mushrooms.

Only days ago you broke your neck to shut me up when I raised this very issue. I promptly responded to ‘Your’ offer of a private message and answered all your questions behind a public forum away from the eyes of others who are experiencing precisely the same issues and after answering all your questions, then what? Silence …. no response to my provided answers and no response to my asking are you still even there Kash? Well Kash, what a great support ambassador for Id you turned out to be.

‘’I hope I was able to help you with your question. If my answer resolved your issue, then please mark my answer as ‘Most Helpful’ using the button below the message with the answer’’

If you spent as much time resolving problems as you do requesting disgruntled customers to blow hot air up your *rs*s the better this site might become.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Reachingout,

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way.

Due to the high volume of contact we are working to get back to everyone via PM’s as quickly as possible.

We offer PM support when we need to take a look into an account and we will get back to you to assist you with your issue.

I can assure you that we have not forgotten about you and we will assist you with your issue as best we can.

Thanks for your patience.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?