Question

RCS Chat Samsung Flip 5

• 8 April 2024
  • 6 replies

I switched to ID mobile about 2 weeks ago and my number switched over however when I send a text message the number that appears on the receivers side is not my number but a temporary one. I have tried toggling RCS in message settings and verify my number however this has not worked. Thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Good evening.

I wonder if the number being sent (and received) is that of your SIM card?  That is, the one that was programmed into the SIM before your PAC switch?

To check this, go into Settings > About phone… and check out the phone number section.  Is the rogue number being displayed there?  Or another way to check is go into your Contacts and into your profile at the top.  Is the number listed in there?

Jonty.

Hi there I went into settings then about phone and the number is my phone number. When I go into RCS chat the number is a temporary number that was given to me before the PAC switch.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Check the Contacts / My profile bit.  I wonder if you’ll see the temp number there?  I’ve had and seen this myself.  I think the About phone area wasn’t quite 100% correct, sorry.

If I’m on the right path, this is a flaw with Android phones which can pick up the phone number programmed into a SIM.  Regardless of PAC porting, SIMs can have numbers pre-programmed.

If you only see your own number then it’s something else.  But ‘what’, I’d have to pass, sorry.

Jonty.

I've just looked in the contacts and the number is my correct number. I'm unsure but it's looking like an issue with the SIM card. I know someone with a different samsung device that recently moved to id mobile and didn't experience this issue.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I've just looked in the contacts and the number is my correct number. I'm unsure but it's looking like an issue with the SIM card. I know someone with a different samsung device that recently moved to id mobile and didn't experience this issue.

If you used the iD SIM card, before the number you wanted to keep switched to iD Mobile, then there’s a good chance the Google RCS servers registered the initial (temporary) iD number for RCS chat on your Android device, @H84

One option is TURN OFF the RCS Chats feature, and leave it off.

A second option is to try the following: 

1. Turn OFF RCS chats (“Chat features”) in the Google Messages app.
  2. Turn OFF the handset and carefully remove the SIM card.
  3. Check the iD SIM card is clean and undamaged, and if OK wait 1-hour before re-inserting the iD SIM card.
  4. Turn ON the handset.
  5. Turn ON RCS chats.

🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @H84 

Have you tried the above from @andewhite?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?