Question

Received a fake phone, now can't port number

• 21 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello, 

Quite a strange one here and it seems to be getting more and more confusing. 

I’ve moved from Vodafone and purchased an iPhone 15 on a new contract on the 17th November. The next day, my phone was delivered by DPD and when I opened the iPhone box there was a fake (looked like a stock or display) iPhone 15 Pro in there. The phone was hollow, super lightweight and had no working charging port or anything like that (see pictures). 

I contacted ID about this and they requested I send the device back. They cancelled the contract and requested I purchase another contract (basically starting fresh).

I received by new iPhone 15 and this time it’s fully working. Unfortunately, the PAC code from my previous provider was sent to the previous contracts number which was cancelled. ID are now saying that the number cannot be ported, as it’s associated to the old ID number and they cannot do internal porting. 

I hope someone can help. I don’t seem to be having much luck here and my experience so far has been extremely difficult.

Ben

2 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You’ll probably have to perform a triangle port @Ben Reeves, because the iD Mobile systems don’t appear capable of having mobile numbers moved from one iD account to another iD account.

A triangle port involves transferring the number you want to keep to another service provider, then switching back to the iD account you’re going to keep.

This is a faff and takes several days of more, but there doesn’t seem to be an alternative way of getting the number to want to keep linked with your new 24-month minimum term handset contract.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Ben Reeves thanks for getting in touch. 

As you are not able to port your number within the same network (i.e. port from iD to iD), only upgrade; you can port your current iD number from your previous contract to a Pay As You Go SIM. You would then be able to port this back to the new iD contract. This is otherwise known as a triangular port.

Why iD Mobile?