Solved

Ruining my credit score for a service I have never used!!

Let me tell you my story:

I found ID mobile in 2018 through some comparison tools like uSwitch. I decided to order a SIM card to switch from my provider at the time.

I've completed my order online and ordered the SIM card to arrive by post. Meanwhile, I called my provider who offered me a better deal and decided to stick with them.

Note that I have never received the SIM card from ID mobile and in January 2019 I noticed on my bank account some payments towards a company which I didn't recognised so closed the direct debit

ID Mobile then contacts me to say I have missed a payment. I call back immediately saying I have never received the SIM card, never used their service and don’t know how I’ve ended up in a contract with them or why should I pay for the service.

They agree to close my contract and give me a full refund of the previous payments. To be, this means, case closed. They admitted there has been a misunderstanding, and I was never supposed to pay in the first place.

Over 3 years forward, I’m applying for a mortgage to buy my first house with my partner and a missed payment to Carphone Warehouse (=ID Mobile) is showing on my credit report, which is the only red flag on my credit report affecting my credit score and impeding us to get the mortgage we want, therefor completely destroying our dreams.

I tried to be in touch with customer service multiple times and filed a complaint. Today I find out they apparently sent a letter to the wrong address saying they are refusing to remove the missed payment, after I have said multiple times they will have to be in touch by phone or by email to arrange a call.

This company is a joke. You can’t speak to a real person.

They are ruining my life over a £13 bill I was never supposed to pay and don’t have the decency to even speak over the phone.

After going through security checks for the 10th time with their Live Chat team, I am now waiting again for a call from the complaints team, and will try to get a better outcome from my complaint.

icon

Best answer by Rory 31 May 2022, 14:02

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @AleB, you agree to the contract at the time of placing the order, not at some nebulous point in the future. You’re billed from the moment the SIM is dispatched, and so you’d be liable for any bills produced up until such time that you contacted us to disconnect the line.

If you decided you no longer wanted to enter the contract, or if the SIM didn’t arrive, you would have needed to have contacted us within the returns window to let us know.

Thank you,

Rory

That wasn’t my understanding at the time of placing the order.

I was never sent the Terms and conditions by post to sign or no one explained the terms and conditions over the phone, which leads me to think your T&Cs might have been in the small prints…

I’ve been seeking help from Citizens Advice to go over my consumer rights, and have no intention to leave this matter unresolved.

It’s YOUR responsibility to offer a transparent service to your customers, which you have failed to provide and the proof is in the refunds made towards my account.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @AleB, when you placed an order for a SIM-only contract, what did you think you were ordering, and when did you think the agreement would begin?

The price, tariff, length and indeed the terms of the contract are all agreed to at the time of placing the order, so it follows that you’d be billed from this point, too.

Otherwise, I could place an order now for a £6 SIM-only tariff and activate it in 2052 for an inflation-busting deal.

Nobody explained the terms over the phone or by post because you placed your order online. Following the checkout process, ticking the box that says you agree to the Terms & Conditions, and authorising the payment is essentially your digital signature.

If you can make a payment of the outstanding balance, then the default will be removed from your credit file within 30 days, but any late marks would be valid and will remain, I’m afraid.

Thank you,

Rory

It’s hard to remember all of the details of this case as it’s been over 3 years. Also, note that I have NO access to my account and NO way to register now in order to review my history.

I have had 2 other providers in the past and none of them have ever charged me before activating the SIM card. I also just checked the Terms and conditions linked from the email confirmation and still to date they are very unclear. They seem to be the same for all of your products (e.g I would get the same T&Cs if I were ordering a phone, a pay as you go, or a entering a phone contract)

I made all of the outstanding payments after receiving the notification of the missed payment, which were then refunded to me.

As a company I am sure and I’m told by the credit agencies and Citizens Advice, you are able to amend someone’s score and remove the late marks. You would do so if you were looking at my case with a little humanity and empathy.

Late payments should show someone’s inability to stay on top of their payments and loans and my case is obviously a very different situation.

Hello @Rory ,

Is it possible to have access to transcripts and recordings of my enquiries from January/February 2019?

Many thanks, Alessandra

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @AleB, you can obtain these by making a Subject Access Request using the form here.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?