Solved

Temp new number showing on sent texts

• 4 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I have successfully ported in my old number to my ID mobile sim (Samsung phone) but recently it has started to show my temporary ID mobile number when I send a text to anyone, whereas WhatsApp messages show my new number!

Why is this?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 6 November 2023, 00:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Coldcompress,

Welcome to the Community!

1) Open Messages, go to Settings (top right, Message Settings), open "Chat Features" or "RCS Chats", verify if this is the correct number or not.

2) If it shows the incorrect one, then head to: https://messages.google.com/disable-chat and you should be able to unregister the number. Once done, turn off the Chat Features/RCS and the phone. Wait a few minutes and turn the device back on and re-enable Chat Features/RCS it should let you re-register/update to the correct number.

Alternatively, you can turn Chat Features/RCS off and test SMS after this.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Thank you. The Chat Features button is just on/off - no phone number stated. 

I got it to work by going to Default Message Type further down, and choosing Text instead of Chat. I lose the benefits of the Chat options such as Read or Delivered but at least text messages show my correct number.  

Thank you for replying however. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have successfully ported in my old number to my ID mobile sim (Samsung phone) but recently it has started to show my temporary ID mobile number when I send a text to anyone, whereas WhatsApp messages show my new number!

Why is this?

Because Google registered the initial/temporary iD number as being linked with your device on their RCS servers.

This can happen if you use the iD SIM before the number you want to keep is ported to iD Mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Coldcompress,

Glad to hear that this is resolved.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?