Question

Unable to connect to the internet on ID mobile

• 14 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi I joined ID mobile in May this year but due to overlapping contracts with Vodafone I did not switch to ID mobile and my new phone until the following month. Since this time I have literally never been able to access the internet using ID mobile data. All my bills show I have used around 3-4 GB data out of 100GB in a whole month. I have become dependent on WiFi to access the internet and my phone signal is also impossible I have to use WiFi and make calls using whattsapp. Please can you advise? Due to working in a busy hospital with limited phone signal and no actual phone number to speak to an ID rep directly I have struggled to resolve this issue. However I still have 18 months left in my contract and am beyond frustrated as I am past the 30 day return period. 

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Can you use the iD WiFi Calling service instead, for calls and texts while at home and at work @Claire Bradford?

How much mobile data did you use per month during your Vodafone contract? 

Unfortunately, iD Mobile don’t have a telephone support helpline - their help & support is 100% online via one of the following options:

• Online iD Live Chat service (via a popup window in a browser).
  • Private message using Facebook Messenger.
  • DM using X (formerly Twitter).

The customer service agents work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends).

Hi @andewhite thanks for your reply. Yes when I am at home I can use WiFi to make calls but whilst out at work out WiFi is not great so often I don't even receive calls or if I do they go to voicemail or else I can hear every other word. When I am out and about I am unable to call friends and family as they struggle to hear me due to poor signal. When I was Vodafone I used around 30 GB of data per month. I checked prior to joining the network that I had good coverage where I lived and worked and it said that it did.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Unfortunately, the online coverage checkers available from the UK mobile networks show the theoretical coverage at any given location, not the actual signal you’ll receive. 

The https://mastdata.com website has information about the real-world signal reception for many locations in the UK. 

In addition, the UK mobile networks use different infrastructure and different parts of the radio spectrum for their mobile services. This means some offer better services than others at any given location. It sounds like the Vodafone network works better in the locations you use your phone the most.

Does your reception improve, and mobile data work better, when your iD SIM card is used in a different device? The handset antenna and modem have an impact on call quality and mobile data performance - some phones are better than others.

@andewhite thank you for clarifying that. I did try the ID sim in my old mobile phone but there was no improvement....

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You might find that forcing your handset to only use 3G data mode improves call quality, and possibly mobile data.

Three UK (the iD Mobile network partner) appear to have 4G network congestion issues in some urban areas, which may get better until beginning of 2025 (after Three UK have turned-off their 3G network).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Claire Bradford,

Welcome to the Community!

Just checking if you have seen any improvements from the advice that @andewhite provided?

Kash

Why iD Mobile?