Question

upgraded phone but cannot use imessage or text!

• 18 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve just upgraded my phone, logged into my iCloud, but it won’t let me use iMessage or text in the new phone. 

I’ve used the same sim, and the contract was upgraded with ID, no new sim or new network.

why can’t I text and use iMessage?  My number is showing on the new phone and I’m connected to the internet. 

do I need to reset my old phone? And remove the old iPhone from my iCloud account? Because I’ve removed my SIM card from my old phone I can only use iMessage on WiFI, so really do need my new phone to work. 

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

There might be a conflict with your old device @LysMoore - was that an iPhone?

Assuming your old device was an iPhone, try and sign-out of your Apple ID on your old iPhone.

If you don’t intend keeping your old iPhone, I’d suggest following the Apple guidance on what to do before you sell, give away or trade-in your iPhone.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351

🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @LysMoore,

As suggested above, was the old device an iPhone also? You may need to sign out of iMessage on that device first then try again on your new device.

I know this issue happens sometimes as a network issue when you first join porting from a new network, but this shouldn’t/doesn’t usually occur when upgrading.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The Apple support article “If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime” might help solve the issue @LysMoore

See https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201422, which claims to help with the several issues when activating iMessage or FaceTime:

• Waiting for activation
  • Activation unsuccessful
  • An error occurred during activation
  • Could not sign in, please check your network connection
  • Unable to contact the iMessage server. Try again.

The article advises it may take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage & FaceTime on your device. 
🤞

Why iD Mobile?