Solved

VO WiFI icon

• 20 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

My Poco F3 briefly displayed a new icon ‘VO WiFI’ in the status bar this morning. Does anyone know under what circumstances this would appear? 

It’s disappeared now and I’ve never seen it before today. I’m assuming it means Voice over Wifi but as far as I know my phone hasn’t been enabled for this service on the iD network even though my phone is capable and has both Volte and Wifi calling options switched on. 

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 20 December 2021, 17:08

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

That’s the indicator for Voice over WiFi on a Poco (WiFi calling I believe).

Also worth mentioning… When VoLTE is enabled and you make a call it uses data via LTE to make the call rather than the PSTN network.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I don’t know whether you’re on the iD network or not  but as I understand it neither Wifi Calling nor VoLTE work on a phone unless it’s on the the iD mobile list of approved devices for these services. The Poco F3 isn’t on either of their lists.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I have two ID Mobile Pay monthly accounts in my name...

Anyway, just because a device isn’t on the list of approved devices doesn’t mean a certain feature will not work with it. I have an Oppo Reno4 Z 5G handset here with an ID Mobile SIM inserted, 5G works on that device even though it isn’t on ID Mobiles 5G approved list (unless it’s been updated recently).

If it isn’t on the list, it just means ID Mobile haven’t tested it or when they did test it, it didn’t work. Future firmware updates could be the reason a feature works now, but didn’t when tested by ID Mobile previously.

Userlevel 2

Paul,

I forgot to mention that 5G also works on my Poco F3 which also isn’t on the iD 5G device list.

Do you have any thoughts on why the ‘VO WiFi’ icon appeared briefly on my phone and then disappeared ?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I think WiFi calling kicked in…

Try putting the handset in airplane mode and then enable WiFi while still in airplane mode. Doing this should force WiFi Calling to enable permanently until you turn off airplane mode (providing WiFi calling is enabled in device settings).

Userlevel 2

Thanks very much. That did the trick.:grinning:

Why iD Mobile?