Solved

who are id mobile

• 28 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Bought a phone from carphone Warehouse. all of a sudden ID Mobile e-mail me wanting to set up payment plans. Never heard of them and CP Warehouse did not mention any involvement from them. I tried a number of e-mail address they give for contact but none of them are in use, one e-mail sent me through  to ASDA Phones by which time I am getting confused. Can anyone tell me if these people are involved with CPW or is this just a huge scam?

icon

Best answer by Tom 30 December 2022, 14:17

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3

Both iD Mobile and Carphone Warehouse are subsidiaries of Currys which is how they're affiliated. While I can't advise on your particular situation as you've provided little info on the device/contract/deal you purchased, I can assure you iD are a legitimate company and have association with Carphone Warehouse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Bought a phone from carphone Warehouse. all of a sudden ID Mobile e-mail me wanting to set up payment plans. Never heard of them and CP Warehouse did not mention any involvement from them. I tried a number of e-mail address they give for contact but none of them are in use, one e-mail sent me through  to ASDA Phones by which time I am getting confused. Can anyone tell me if these people are involved with CPW or is this just a huge scam?

Hey @Chris Maskell,

If you purchased a contract via Carphone Warehouse, you will have purchased on a network for one of the contracts they sell. e.g. Vodafone, Voxxi, iD Mobile etc.

Did you select the iD network for your purchased contract? If so, the email would be from us due to this.

Mohammed

Hi thanks for that, it seemed odd that there was no mention of id mobile at the purchase stage and so was taken by surprise by what appeared to be an invasive involvement of my buying a phone, I went to id mobile to find out what I could and moving around the site finished up on ASDA’s mobile phone page. It was then I was getting panicky, had I been hacked and was being prompted into buying three phone services instead of just one. At least I know now that id is the mobile server for my phone, but I still wonder how ASDA got in on the game. I still think that things could be made clearer at the purchase stage, especially for those not so cognisant with the ways of digital sales so the buyer doesn’t get unpleasant surprises with people they had never heard of, I hadn’t. Thanks for your help Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Chris Maskell 

The sales team at Carphone Warehouse/Currys definitely should’ve made you aware that you were purchasing a contract with iD Mobile, this would have also been visible on the documents signed at the end of the sale.

I’m unsure how you would have gone from our site to ASDA’s without doing it on purpose.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?