Question

Why are people able to TEXT my OLD NUMBER. CAN PHONE my NEW NUMBER but CANT TEXT IT

I was given a new phone number by ID a few months ago. Which means I DO NOT USE MY OLD NUMBER AGAIN. However, when people text me on my old phone number I get their messages on my NEW NUMBER, and when I reply to the same messages, I am replying via my OLD NUMBER. You CANT PHONE my OLD NUMBER though, but you CAN PHONE my NEW NUMBER. Its like, people are texting my OLD NUMBER but PHONING MY NEW NUMBER. A wee bit of gremlin moment here.

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Chat settings in messages is still linked to your old number

Open the Messages app . Tap your Profile icon and then Messages settings and then Advanced. Select Phone number, then edit the number to the correct phone number associated with your SIM card. Tap OK. After doing that restart the phone and it should be working correctly 🤞 Also check message settings > chat features the number on there may be incorrect and need editing. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Digg3r, I’m not an Android user but can you edit the number at: 

Message settings > Chat features

If you can, what version of Android are you using?

If @Nairaland joined iD Mobile by starting a new handset contract, and used their iD SIM card in their new handset before porting their number to iD, Google’s RCS servers will have registered their handset with the ‘temporary’ iD mobile number, not the number they wanted to keep.

Getting this corrected, on Google’s RCS servers, seems to be fairly tricky. Google’s Android support team don’t even seem to have a solution for this.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @andewhite. I'm using Android 13. Yes the number can be edited within the chat features. I was given a temporary number by ID whilst the porting process was happening in the background. I had issues where once the number was ported I could make calls from the ported number but if I sent a text it would show as the old number.(temporary ID number) By using the instructions I posted above my text and calls are both from the correct ported number.  

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you @Digg3r
What handset are you using with Android 13? 

I suppose the process might be different with older versions of Android, and different manufacturer’s handsets? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@andewhite  I am using the Pixel 7 pro. I honestly couldn't tell you if the process varies as I spent hours googling the solution and found it on a specific pixel site. I believe that android is more or less the same layout regardless of handset though. I have come from a very basic smart phone using android 11 and the difference in navigation is negligible. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I believe the version of Android on a Google Pixel device differs in many ways from Android editions supplied by other Android device manufacturers, e.g. Samsung, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, et cetera.

Userlevel 2
Badge

In terms of operation my Xiaomi and pixel are actually very similar, obviously the pixel has way more bells and whistles but the navigation from layout to settings options aren't actually that far apart. The performance between the two are leagues apart obviously but between these two I own I can switch from one to the other and not need to re familiarise my self in order to use them. If that make sense. I think on the grand scheme of things android has been made user friendly in such a way that users can upgrade but still have the familiar feel of the previous android handset. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thank you @Digg3r
I was thinking more about how to solve texts from wrong number issue, in various flavours of Android.

Would you solve this issue the same way on your Pixel and Xiaomi devices?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Having not had to do it on the Xiaomi I cannot say for certain, I can say however that the same options are available within the chat app on the Xiaomi handset having just checked so I believe It would be the same process. 

Hi digg3r,

I went to my message settings and did what you said. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. Very frustrating. Perhaps Redmi is different.

Thanks for your answers and have a pleasant day/night.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi digg3r,

I went to my message settings and did what you said. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. Very frustrating. Perhaps Redmi is different.

Somewhere in one of Google’s support forums I think a Google support person recommended the following:

1. Open the Google Messages app and turn OFF the “Chat features” option.
  2. Shutdown your phone.
  3. Carefully remove and reinsert the SIM card.
  4. Power ON your phone.
  5. Open the Google Messages app and turn ON “Chat features” - which should then prompt you to re-register with the number you transferred to iD Mobile.

🍀

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi digg3r,

The Xiaomi I checked on was also the Redmi. Im sorry I wasn't any help, I assumed that due to the settings offering the same as the Google pixel it may have been the solution. 😔

Why iD Mobile?