Solved

Wi-Fi calling.

• 1 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi everybody,

Getting really frustrated at the moment. Despite my phone (Samsung A22 5G) being on the list of compatible phones for Wi-Fi calling, I am unable to get Wi-Fi calling. Have set Wi-Fi calling setting to on but no joy there.

I know if I have a ‘good’ mobile signal then Android will use that rather than Wi-Fi calling BUT the only signal I get where I am now is from the EE network. I get full ‘bars’ but obviously can’t use my phone for calls/texts etc. Have used the online chat and despite telling them that I have followed their settings, they can’t seem to grasp the fact that the only network signal I get is from EE.

Am I destined to being unable to communicate with anybody because of the Android system preferring a network signal over a Wi-Fi one or is there some way of ‘forcing’ Wi-Fi calling ?

Pete.

icon

Best answer by Peterdl 19 April 2022, 17:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Peterdl, most Samsung Galaxy devices allow you to set a “Wi-Fi preferred” option.

Navigate to and open the Phone app. Tap More options (the three vertical dots), tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi Calling.

Cellular preferred selected on a Galaxy phone

• Select Wi-Fi preferred: Your phone's Wi-Fi network will be used for calls. If Wi-Fi is unavailable, cellular network will be used.

If this still doesn’t work, the only way to truly force Wi-Fi Calling is to enable Flight Mode, and then manually re-enable Wi-Fi. This will prevent your phone from connecting to the cellular network entirely.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Peterdl,

Could you please enable Wi-fi calling, once this is done please place the handset into Airplane mode and then enable Wifi only.

This should force the handset to use Wifi calling instead.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I replied at least a week ago but the post hasn't appeared !

I don't have the option of cellular or wi-fi preferred only 'use wi-fi calling'. This was on & put into airplane mode.

Looking at another forum post, it seems that my actual phone was a 'grey import'. As this was not specified in the listing & the phone was less than 3 months old, I managed to get a refund & purchased a new phone that was a UK version. Wi-fi calling on my new phone works now as expected.

Why wi-fi calling won't work on a non UK phone is beyond me !

Regards,

Pete.

Why iD Mobile?