Solved

WiFi calling appears to be down

• 27 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi all.

At about 1030hrs this morning I lost WiFi calling on both my personal and work mobiles; both are on 3UK, but my work mobile is through a different provider as opposed to iDMobile.

The DownDetector website problems reported graph for 3UK shows a massive peak from mid-morning, so I am guessing it is not just me.

The 3UK service checker does show work on the network in my area, but surely that would only affect cellular signal and not WiFi calling. I force WiFi calling using flight mode and re-enabling WiFi, but that is not working, so I think it must be an outage of WiFi calling itself.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 27 October 2023, 13:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’ve got a plan that uses the Three UK mobile network @gauge_boson. 
I use WiFi Calling, and I’ve just successfully made a WiFi Calling call to my voicemail and my home landline. 

I guess there could be an issue with access to the Three UK WiFi Calling gateway, from different/some broadband providers. 

IMO, iD Mobile are ‘light’ on technical expertise, and therefore unlikely to have a sensible answer. 
There might be some clues on the X (formerly Twitter) platform.

Userlevel 2

Hi @andewhite 

I just returned home and WiFi calling is working again; it seems it was a temporary outage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @gauge_boson,

Welcome to the Community!

We hope that your issue is resolved.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 2

Hi @Kash 

The big question/issue that I think everyone using WiFi calling on iD Mobile (3UK) would like answering is why on this network the WiFi calling options to 'prefer WiFi' or 'prefer cellular' are blocked by the carrier; default is 'prefer cellular' and I, along with most users I know, would like to select 'prefer WiFi' to ensure WiFi calling is not dropped when a very small cell signal is received.

I have a brand new Samsung A34 5G phone that has these options, but iD Mobile (3UK) block their use; put an EE SIM into my phone and they are available because EE do not block them. You can 'lock' WiFi calling using flight mode and re-enabling WiFi, but that is not ideal. iD Mobile support have raised 3 separate tickets with 3UK for me, but each time they get a ridiculous answer from 3UK that just assumes I am stupid or my phone is defective and needs to go to Currys/PC World (3UK's physical support) to be checked over. I did actually go to my local branch, and they phoned iD Mobile to confirm there is nothing physically wrong and just that iD Mobile (3UK) choose to block the menu options

@Kash if you can get a resolution to that, you will make thousands of users' lives better in poor signal areas.

Best regards

Nick

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @gauge_boson,

Was the handset purchased from us?

Unfortunately we can’t guarantee Wi-Fi calling will work if the handset isn’t an approved Wi-Fi calling handset and if it wasn’t purchased from us directly.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?