Solved

WiFi calling on Pixel 7

• 22 October 2023
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1

How do I use WiFi calling on my ID Mobile Pixel 7? The cellular signal is awful in my house.

I bought a Pixel 7 from ID Mobile, have selected WiFi calling in the settings, but no calls are made via WiFi.

The Pixel 7 does not appear in the supported WiFi calling phones supported list on the ID mobile self help section.

Searching the internet and this forum suggest that ID mobile need to specifically whitelist the pixel 7 for WiFi calling on their own systems.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 23 October 2023, 13:32

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

A work-around is to put your Pixel 7 in flight mode, turn on Wi-Fi on the handset, then the device should use the iD WiFi Calling service. 

Some service providers have enabled an option in the Android Settings app that can tell the handset to prefer WiFi Calling, but this option isn’t available with iD Mobile - perhaps because Google’s Pixel 7 is not approved for use with the iD Mobile network @Blandy.

See the approved devices online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Blandy,

Welcome to the Community!

We hope that @andewhite has answered your query.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 1

He kind of has, however I'd prefer if ID mobile can add Pixel 7 to the supported phones list.

I bought this from ID mobile, it's a fairly recent model, and it feels weird that older & newer pixel models would be included but not the pixel 7.

An ID advisor did say tech support would be looking into it, but I don't know where that thread went. There was no follow up email from the Live chat.

As a side note, turning on airplane mode does work. Inconvenient though.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

He kind of has, however I'd prefer if ID mobile can add Pixel 7 to the supported phones list.

I bought this from ID mobile, it's a fairly recent model, and it feels weird that older & newer pixel models would be included but not the pixel 7.

An ID advisor did say tech support would be looking into it, but I don't know where that thread went. There was no follow up email from the Live chat.

As a side note, turning on airplane mode does work. Inconvenient though.

Perhaps the Google Assistant can assist here, by reminding you to turn OFF flight mode, when you leave particular locations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Blandy 

I’ve asked the team to look into adding the Google Pixel 7 & 7 Pro to the supported devices list should it be a device we support, however I wouldn’t expect this to change any way the device actually works with our service.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @Blandy 

I’ve asked the team to look into adding the Google Pixel 7 & 7 Pro to the supported devices list should it be a device we support, however I wouldn’t expect this to change any way the device actually works with our service.

Tom

Okay @Tom, what is the purpose of the online iD Mobile approved (supported) handsets list in that case? 

Regarding access to a prefer using Wi-Fi Calling option in Android, it appears iD have chosen not to provide the option in the network profile for the device. 

The option is available in Android when using an EE SIM card in the device. 

We are experiencing the same difficulties in trying to make and receive calls.  The call drops frequently and the line is dreadful all of the time with people saying that the line is ‘breaking up’.  We contacted ID yesterday with the same observation regarding wi-fi calling.  Are ID Mobile going to resolve this issue anytime soon do you think?  

Userlevel 1

WiFi calling has started working now and is marked on the call when enabled (coincidence?) but missing the "prefer WiFi call" in settings is meaning it's still dropping calls and reverting to cellular when it shouldn't.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

The purpose of the list is to give (usually SIM only users) an idea of the devices we officially support.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @mdwyer & @Blandy 

In this case it sounds like the Wi-Fi network may not be strong enough to support the Wi-Fi call, the device (and SIM) would choose the strongest network for the service at any given time, should the Wi-Fi not be the strongest, it’ll move to the mobile network provided by Three UK.

Tom

Userlevel 1

No @Tom , the WiFi is definitely strong and stable enough. The closest AP is about 6m away from my desk.

It's actually working ~70% of the time since ID mobile tech have done something enabling it behind the scenes, but I have no confirmation on what the team did or if they will enable "preferred WiFi calling" either.

Screenshots of the signal at that location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Blandy,

Do you have the most up to date software on the handset. 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Yep, always up to date on autoupdate

Userlevel 1

I can see here someone else has the same issue and has raised a topic.

Aligns with what I found, that "prefer WiFi calling" is a feature on Android 14, but Three & ID Mobile have chosen to disable this option, despite promoting WiFi calling.

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/tech-savvy-corner-182/a-better-way-to-use-wifi-calling-56298

And corresponding item on Three community https://community.three.co.uk/t5/Devices/Why-is-Three-disabling-wifi-calling-preference-menus/td-p/6785/page/2

My suspicion is they've tried to "soft launch" WiFi calling, and some IT manager or Product Owner thought it was a good idea to disable the option. Then the budget never materialised to finish the rollout.

Userlevel 1

I changed to ID Mobile from Giffgaff because they offered poor performance inside my home, which is highly insulated, and ID had a better signal on the coverage checker. Then you’ve got the advantage of WIFI Calling which I would prefer the ability to specify its use first in my home since the low 4G signal inside isn’t good enough to maintain a good call but does seem enough to stop the phone switching to WIFI Calling.

Userlevel 1

The support team on the private message channel keep coming back without any answers. It seems the technical support team they are consulting don't actually know that "prefer WiFi calling" exists, and that it's a carrier profile configuration.

And each new person that picks up the thread doesn't read the previous messages so the keep going back to the start and talking about "enable Wifi calling- basic option"

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The support team on the private message channel keep coming back without any answers. It seems the technical support team they are consulting don't actually know that "prefer WiFi calling" exists, and that it's a carrier profile configuration.

And each new person that picks up the thread doesn't read the previous messages so the keep going back to the start and talking about "enable Wifi calling- basic option"

Perhaps iD Mobile see themselves as primarily a sales outfit, and don’t attach much importance to technical support within their business.

Most technical issues appear to be passed to Three UK by a ticketing system, but communication between iD and Three UK seemingly doesn’t work well.

The Android option to prefer Wi-Fi Calling exists for many EE customers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Blandy 

I’m sorry you aren’t happy with our answer to this question, the tech team have advised that there is no “prefer Wi-Fi calling” setting on our side to switch on or off.

Tom

Last week I upgraded from a Samsung S20 to a Pixel 7 pro but even with WiFi calling switched on, it would only call via the sim and coverage at home is poor. Yesterday I went and bought a Three PAYG sim to see if that worked with WiFi calling and it did. I like ID mobile and I didn't want to switch provider so I though I need a little time to think about my next move. OK here is the strange bit! I put back my ID mobile sim back in so I could receive calls and now when I make a call WiFi calling works??? Perhaps the Three sim did something to the phones settings as they are on the same network. It worked for me but I haven't got a clue how. I didn't even put credit on the Three sim I just received an automatic new customer Text from Three and then dialed the free voice mail to test WiFi calling and then swapped the sim back to my ID Mobile one and now it all works. Best £1.00 I have ever spent! Hope this works and helps someone else!

Why iD Mobile?