Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

446 replies

Hi I managed to get some help on live chat.  Thanks for your response 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @me79,

Glad to hear that.

If you require further assistance you can always post on the Community and someone will be happy to help.

Kash

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

Hi, I’ve received a new Sim (brand new connection) but the phone doesn’t seem to register its presence. I’ve tried a different sim in the new phone and it works fine. Also swapped the ID mobile sim into a working phone and just says “No sim available”?

feels like a faulty sim to me but how do I get it replaced?

Morning, I have tried all of the above and I’ve tried the new sim in 3 different phones. None of them are recognising it. They all just say no sim. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Morning, I have tried all of the above and I’ve tried the new sim in 3 different phones. None of them are recognising it. They all just say no sim. 

Unfortunately, that sounds like a faulty iD SIM card @Deville1982
A quick way of getting a replacement is to visit a Currys store, where you can get a replacement for your faulty iD SIM card. 
🤞

The staff are absolutely wasting your time. You need to go to

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/member/activation?userid=115941&token=ca1c61dd62b618b0287350c7b35340ab

and do NOT click “COVERAGE CHECK’ like they’re telling you to. This will give you the false idea that your area is covered. Instead click “STATUS CHECKER” and enter your postcode.

This is the correct way to check if there is a network fault in your area and I’m astonished that the “staff” here haven’t mentioned that.

I joined 3 days ago and for 3 days I’ve been seeing the message “engineers working on masts nearby” that keeps updating every 2 hours (just the “last update time”. Nothing is being done, the staff are clueless on chat and keep going over the m0nkey trained list of things like waste time ordering a new sim or restart your phone.

Due to the network status down, your SIM wont be recognised even if its perfectly working because the network status checker shows the network is having severe faults everywhere (they piggy back off THREE network).

Hello 

my SIM card is not working I did all the things what I had to do and tried on 2 devices and still not working 

I will need a new sim

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello 

my SIM card is not working I did all the things what I had to do and tried on 2 devices and still not working 

I will need a new sim

Okay @Lena27, one (quick) way of getting a replacement iD SIM is visit a Currys store, where you can get a replacement for your faulty SIM card. 
🤞

Will I have to pay for it? 

Why am I posting on a chat room to get technical support? This is abit rubbish isn’t it.

I have started paying for my Mobile phone contract for over a week now, DPD have been cancelling deliveries of my SIM. Not your fault but I would hope to be able to contact someone easily to delay the start of my contract as I’m paying for a service I’m yet to use.

I received the SIM, tried all of the above, and it’s not working. Please could you advise? Or do I have to go to curry’s and get a new one. Do I keep the same number or will this change? 

Not a good start and not easy…

Why am I posting on a chat room to get technical support? This is abit rubbish isn’t it.

I have started paying for my Mobile phone contract for over a week now, DPD have been cancelling deliveries of my SIM. Not your fault but I would hope to be able to contact someone easily to delay the start of my contract as I’m paying for a service I’m yet to use.

I received the SIM, tried all of the above, and it’s not working. Please could you advise? Or do I have to go to curry’s and get a new one. Do I keep the same number or will this change? 

Not a good start and not easy…

Do I just keep checking this page to see if/when I get a response? Crazy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Lee Fairgrieve,

If your SIM isn’t working we would advise that you visit your local Curry’s store for a replacement.

If you ever require urgent assistance we would advise contacting us via Social Media or Live Chat.

Please let us know if you require us to PM you and we can drop you a message.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi, I bought a pay monthly sim and provided my pac code to bring my old number. Contract was due to start yesterday. My old sim from another provider doesn't work and neither does the new one. The sim says its already active when I try to activate it. I can't get an account as my number isn't working. Should my new sim work already or am I being impatient?

I really need a working phone number!!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi, I bought a pay monthly sim and provided my pac code to bring my old number. Contract was due to start yesterday. My old sim from another provider doesn't work and neither does the new one. The sim says its already active when I try to activate it. I can't get an account as my number isn't working. Should my new sim work already or am I being impatient?

I really need a working phone number!!

Your new iD SIM card, for your pay monthly plan, should work when inserted into an UNLOCKED mobile phone @Chloë Moliver.

Try the SIM in another UNLOCKED handset if possible, and if it still doesn’t work you might have received a faulty SIM card. 

Userlevel 1

Hi, my husbands sim works in my phone and he is on another network. The sim I've been sent doesn't work in his phone either. Both phones are unlocked to all networks.

Should I just request a new replacement?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi, my husbands sim works in my phone and he is on another network. The sim I've been sent doesn't work in his phone either. Both phones are unlocked to all networks.

Should I just request a new replacement?

Probably your best option @Chloë Moliver
Get your replacement iD SIM card from any Currys store, with suitable ID, or use the online iD Live Chat to request one.

Userlevel 1

new sim not working in phone (pixel 8) i need to transfer my old number over from smarty mobile. (my old sim works in my new phone) My new ID sim is not being recognised when inserted into my phone or other phones.

I need to either get a new or talk someone. I can't even activate my account to ask the question because the new SIM won't receive a message for the activation code 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @James Buller,

Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you need a replacement SIM card.

You can collect one from your local Curry’s store or we can get one sent.

Please let us know and we can PM you if required.

Kash

My SIMisnt working on my new phone, I’ve tried activating it using the PAC code but the SIM still isnt working on my new phone.

Who can I speak to please?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

My SIM isn't working on my new phone, I’ve tried activating it using the PAC code but the SIM still isn’t working on my new phone.

Who can I speak to please?

Okay @Cormac Ryan, have you tried speaking to customer support using one of the iD Mobile primary support channels?

• Online Live Chat at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat (via popup window in your browser).
  • By private message using Facebook Messenger.
  • By DM using X (formerly Twitter).

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends).

Hi,

I received my new pay monthly sim card and phone yesterday. The sim card is not recognised by my phone (which is compatible) and isn't recognised in my old phone either. My old sim card works fine in my phone so it seems like it's a sim card issue.

Do I need a replacement sim card?

Also I have already started the process of transferring my current number to my new sim card (i did this prior to realising it didnt work) and the PAC code etc has been sent. It is due to transfer on Monday. I'm worried I'll loose access to my existing mobile number as the sim it's moving to does not work.

If I get a replacement sim card, will I still be able to transfer my existing number to it? 

Thanks.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I received my new pay monthly sim card and phone yesterday. The sim card is not recognised by my phone (which is compatible) and isn't recognised in my old phone either. My old sim card works fine in my phone so it seems like it's a sim card issue.

Do I need a replacement sim card?

Also I have already started the process of transferring my current number to my new sim card (i did this prior to realising it didnt work) and the PAC code etc has been sent. It is due to transfer on Monday. I'm worried I'll loose access to my existing mobile number as the sim it's moving to does not work.

If I get a replacement sim card, will I still be able to transfer my existing number to it? 

Thanks.

Trust me they will do nothing to help and everything to fob you off to make sure that you are out with the cooling off period.  I have been months without my number transfering properly and still no further ahead.  Genuinely awful company with non existent customer service.  Just look at how they handled the outage yesterday (which is still on going for some people) to give you an idea of how this company operates 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Cormac Ryan 

I’m sorry to hear this, are you still having issues with your new SIM card?

When was your number transferred over to it?

Have you tried resetting your network settings on the device while the iD Mobile SIM card is inside it?

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Cblag 

I’m sorry to hear this, have you tried resetting your network settings on the device with the iD Mobile SIM card inside?

It may be worth trying a replacement SIM card, please let us know if you still require assistance with this so we can get in touch.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?