Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

446 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Shadermarine 

That isn’t true, if you’re within your cooling off period you’re well within your rights to return and cancel with us, getting in touch with us (or the vendor you’ve purchased via if not iD Mobile) is the best way to make a return.

I’m sorry you’ve had issues with your number transfer, however at least on the community you’ve only begun posting days ago, not months ago when you’ve said your issues began.

We’ve already sent you a private message to look into this.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there.

Tom

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

I have purchased a phone and started a new contract with ID mobile. With the new SIM in the new phone, I’m not getting any mobile signal (just 4 grey dots where the signal bars should be). I’ve followed all of the steps above and I know I should be getting signal as another ID sim (my husband’s) works in my new phone. 

Hi. I’m having issues with the sim that's been delivered with my new phone. The phone arrived on Friday and I’ve given it a couple of days assuming that there might just be a delay in activation however that would appear not to be the case.

I’m using an iPhone 15 pro and it is saying ‘No SIM’. I’ve taken the sim out a couple of times. I’ve also tried the sim in my old phone (Samsung S9+) and that also says no sim. I’ve tried my old EE sim in the iPhone and that works just fine. Thus, it looks like the new sim is the issue rather than the phone. I’ve also tried the flight mode thing mentioned in the post above.

My number is due to be ported over tomorrow (i.e. Wednesday) (at least that what I requested at checkout on mobiles.co.uk but I haven’t had any confirmation of such from iD). I’m concerned my number is going to be ported to the dud sim and I’ll be left without a working phone.

Please can you advise? If this cannot be resolved before tomorrow then can the number port be cancelled until a new sim is delivered? I really can’t afford to be left without a working phone due to work.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi. I’m having issues with the sim that's been delivered with my new phone. The phone arrived on Friday and I’ve given it a couple of days assuming that there might just be a delay in activation however that would appear not to be the case.

I’m using an iPhone 15 pro and it is saying ‘No SIM’. I’ve taken the sim out a couple of times. I’ve also tried the sim in my old phone (Samsung S9+) and that also says no sim. I’ve tried my old EE sim in the iPhone and that works just fine. Thus, it looks like the new sim is the issue rather than the phone. I’ve also tried the flight mode thing mentioned in the post above.

My number is due to be ported over tomorrow (i.e. Wednesday) (at least that what I requested at checkout on mobiles.co.uk but I haven’t had any confirmation of such from iD). I’m concerned my number is going to be ported to the dud sim and I’ll be left without a working phone.

Please can you advise? If this cannot be resolved before tomorrow then can the number port be cancelled until a new sim is delivered? I really can’t afford to be left without a working phone due to work.

Sounds like a dud SIM card @tomsdalton

The “How do I get a replacement SIM card?“ forum article might help in this situation. 

My old sim won't work in new fone

Please help me.. i have been on chat million times and they not resolving issue. I bought new contract phone and transferred my old numer with pac. Sim card not in service. I can see on app thay number has been transferred. I tried everything switching airplane mode, phone on/off, different handsets, i got new sim card from currys and registered it- nothing works. I check handset with my wife id sim and it is working ok. Its just my sim card not in service at all. 

I also tried different locations, and nothing works. 

Please help it been over two weeks and im unable to use any service 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @KotekMamrotek 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lizzie123 

Does the SIM still work in your old device?

What new phone are you trying the iD Mobile SIM card in?

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @tomsdalton 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jhulett 

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Hi, I just got my new contract and phone, and the sim card is not seen by any of my phones. I went through all the steps advised, and it's not working. I thought it wasn't active but I checked online, and it is. Looks like the physical sim card is faulty?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @EmiliaL,

Welcome to the Community!

We can either get a SIM sent out or you can pick one up from your local Curry’s store.

Collecting one from Curry’s is the quickest way to get a replacement but you’ll need to get back to us to activate it.

Kash

Hello, i have received my phone and SIM card, but the SIM card isn’t working, I have tried it in multiple devices and it is still the same. My old SIM card did work in my new phone, but that has now been deactivated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Carldownes 

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Hi,

I have got a new contract and the sim does not work. Previously with a different provider.  I have tried all of the above options however, my sim is still not working. My phone does not detect a sim. 

Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

Userlevel 1

I got my new SIM and did the PAC code transfer 2 days ago but the new SIM still hasn't activated? I've tried all the suggestions. What do I do now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Kevinhpb 

I’m sorry to hear this, what device are you using the SIM card inside?

Have you tried resetting your network settings with the SIM card inside?

For iPhone;

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

For Android;

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom

My new iD SIM card has arrived but appears to be damaged and does not register at all in my iPhone. I’ve tried the different things mentioned here but just get the ‘No Sim’ message on my phone. My previous Sim still works but is due to be disconnected today. Can I request a replacement?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @GuineapigPaul 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

I bought a SIM only contract and my SIM card is not working in my compatible device (Google Pixel 3a). I inserted the SIM into another device and it works there, so unsure why it isn't working in my device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a SIM only contract and my SIM card is not working in my compatible device (Google Pixel 3a). I inserted the SIM into another device and it works there, so unsure why it isn't working in my device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried all of the suggestions on the help page but it hasn't worked

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Humpy29 

This typically happens when the SIM card is switched off in the device, have you tried resetting network settings on the Pixel 3a?

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

If that doesn’t work, it may be worth picking up a replacement SIM card from your local Currys and activating it at the following link;

https://my.idmobile.co.uk/ja/web/cpw/sim-swap

Alternatively we can have one sent out via DPD if you wish, if you would prefer this, please let us know so we can get in touch.

Tom

Hi @Humpy29 

This typically happens when the SIM card is switched off in the device, have you tried resetting network settings on the Pixel 3a?

If that doesn’t work, it may be worth picking up a replacement SIM card from your local Currys and activating it at the following link;

https://my.idmobile.co.uk/ja/web/cpw/sim-swap

Alternatively we can have one sent out via DPD if you wish, if you would prefer this, please let us know so we can get in touch.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me. I just got a new SIM card from Currys as they suggested we tried that, however I am still getting the same problem of no network. I also tried your suggestion to reset the network settings. Would you happen to know what else to try?

Many thanks!

My new sim has stopped working

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Steve Ring,

Welcome to the Community!

Was it a replacement SIM or a new contract SIM?

I would advise trying the SIM in a different handset and if it still doesn’t work you can collect one from your local Curry’s store.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?