Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Userlevel 8
Badge
If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.
  • Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.
If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

446 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

my new SIM card isn’t working and I was hoping you could help.

- I followed the advice that is on this SIM card guide if it isn’t working and that hasn’t worked,

-I’ve double checked that my phone is unlocked to all networks and it is

- I have scheduled my change over for within this time range and have put the sun in on this date.

-It seems my phone isn’t reading the sim- when I first put it in it said no SIM card detected.

thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @user15129 

Sorry to hear this, please could you let us know what device you’re attempting to use the iD Mobile SIM card inside?

Have you tried resetting your network settings with the iD Mobile SIM card inside?

For iPhone;

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

For Android;

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @user15129 

Sorry to hear this, please could you let us know what device you’re attempting to use the iD Mobile SIM card inside?

Have you tried resetting your network settings with the iD Mobile SIM card inside?

For iPhone;

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

For Android;

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion. I’ve tried this next step you’ve suggested and that’s not worked either. The phone I am trying to insert my sim into is an iPhone XS. Any other suggestions? 

Many thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @user15129,

Does the handset have the latest software installed?

Also has a replacement SIM card been tested? It may be worth trying a new SIM in the handset.

If the SIM works in another handset it will likely be a handset issue.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi @user15129,

Also has a replacement SIM card been tested? It may be worth trying a new SIM in the handset.

Kash

Hi Kash,

1. Newest software installed on handset and still not working.
  2. Tried different sim in handset and that is working fine. (Phone is also unlocked to all networks)
  3. Tried the new sim in a different handset and that is not working either

I think it is the sim that isn’t working. I can’t seem to order a new sim either as I can’t register for the id mobile app as to register you have to verify your phone number with a text to the new id number which isn’t working.

any help in resolving this matter I would be grateful for.

thanks.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @user15129,

Kash

Hi Kash,

2. Tried different sim in handset and that is working fine. (Phone is also unlocked to all networks)

I think it is the sim that isn’t working. I can’t seem to order a new sim either as I can’t register for the id mobile app as to register you have to verify your phone number with a text to the new id number which isn’t working.

thanks.

You can use the iD Live Chat service to order a replacement SIM card, @user15129. Otherwise, get a replacement SIM from your closest Currys store. 

Replacement SIMs need to be activated online at https://my.idmobile.co.uk/web/cpw/sim-swap.  

Userlevel 1

Hi @user15129,

Kash

Hi Kash,

thanks.

You can use the iD Live Chat service to order a replacement SIM card, @user15129. Otherwise, get a replacement SIM from your closest Currys store. 

Replacement SIMs need to be activated online at https://my.idmobile.co.uk/web/cpw/sim-swap.  

That’s great thank you for your help with solving this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @user15129 

A replacement SIM card can be picked up via a local Currys store and activated at the link provided by @andewhite above, however if you wish to have one sent out, we can get in touch here.

Please let us know if you would like one sent and we’ll get in touch.

Tom

Hi, I recently bought a sim only contract with you guys and it’s say the sim is invalid every time time I pop it in, I’ve tried everything such as unlocking my phone and everything that’s suggested to help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Jack Bevins 

Sorry to hear this, what device are you trying it in?

Have you tried it in another device?

Tom

Dpd lost my phone so I couldn’t activate my sim. Mobiles.co.uk sent a second sim with my phone replacement. Neither sim is working, I always get ID signal in my house, I’ve tried the sims in 2 phones that a different network sim works in and have tried restarting both handsets. Neither of the 2 ID sims work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @EloiseW 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Hello 

I received my new handset on Tuesday. I'm new to ID mobile. It didn't come with a SIM card. I went to Curry's to pick a SIM up and the guy scanned it and said it should have my number and work fine. Since then I activated the SIM and it worked for one day and now it's not been working for 2 days. It's seems to have stopped and I have zero signal. I've done everything you've said. Can someone help? 

Sophie 

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

I am new to iD, my sim isn't working - I have gone through all of the recommended steps & nothing has worked / changed.  Phones just say "no sim", tried it in 2 different unlocked, compatible phones)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Hazel 20,

Welcome to the Community and iD Mobile!

It sounds like the SIM may be faulty and a new one will be required.

You can either collect one from your local Curry’s store which is the quicker option or we can get one sent out.

Kash

Hi @EloiseW 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Can someone please reply to me and let me know what’s going on?

I have tried everything as above apart from someone else’s phone and nothing works, I put my old sim in and it is visible. In my phone settings I his sim is not.  This is now very frustrating, the chat facility told me my number has ported from 02 so no idea why it’s not working xx

Ok so just tried the sim in a friends iPhone and no sim is detected…what happens next?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Lisa Herbert,

If you haven’t had a replacement SIM I would advise trying this.

The SIM will need to be activated once you have it. You can activate the SIM yourself through the iD Mobile app.

Please let us know if you would like a SIM sent out or if you prefer to collect one from Curry’s.

Kash

Hi @EloiseW 

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

I’ve still not had a response. Will someone please reply to my message and let me know what I’m supposed to do with my number assigned to a sim that hasn’t been sent to me?

Sim is definitely not working I’ve followed everything  ID have told me to do but my is not seeing the sim. Apparently they’ve sent me a new one but I’ve had no confirmation at all. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @EloiseW 

Please note in private messages we aren’t always active and can’t always respond quickly.

We’ll respond when possible.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lisa Herbert 

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Hi 

I’ve tried all the advice above and my SIM card still isn’t working. 
Best wishes

Cara

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Cara McGranaghan,

Welcome to Community!

You may require a new SIM card which you can have delivered or collect from your local Curry’s store.

Please let us know if you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?