Skip to main content
Solved

Changing SIM only plan

• 3 July 2024
  • 5 replies

I’ve seen this cracking deal on Money Saving Expert and given I’m currently on a 1 month rolling SIM only contract for £7 a month for 15GB of data, I’d like to switch over to pay the same price for a better deal. As this isn’t an upgrade which is offered directly through the ID Mobile website, even though the SIM is bought through them, what would I need to do? Do I just buy the deal, then contact ID to have my number moved over to the new SIM or is it even more simple than that?

Cheers,

Wes

5 replies

Userlevel 1

I found that you can't switch from ID Mobile to a better deal on ID Mobile for new customers. You can get the SIM but then you can't get the PAC code to work and keep your number. It may be OK if you're happy to use the new number, or maybe move to someone else first, then back again.

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

Okay @wideawakewesley, if you don’t upgrade in an iD approved manner, your number can’t be moved from your old SIM to your new SIM.

So presumably, as I’m on a rolling contract, I could switch to another provider using my PAC code to transfer my number over, then switch back to ID mobile and do the same thing, effectively appearing as a new customer?

Userlevel 1

Yes, should work. It's often what people do.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey there @wideawakewesley, welcome to Community!

As you’ve mentioned here, and with the help of @andewhite & @Schrodingerscat, you wouldn’t be able to buy a completely new plan and transfer your phone number over to it I’m afraid, it’d need to be a direct upgrade to keep your number.

However, you can do what is known as a triangle port as you’ve mentioned in your most recent comment. Please let us know if you need instructions on how to do this.

Thanks,

Tyler