Solved

Moving number from ID pay monthly to ID SIM only

• 10 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I have had an ID pay monthly contract for a few years. I am moving to an ID SIM only contract. I have been sent a new SIM but no instructions on if/when to put it in the phone and what that will do to my mobile phone number (if anything). There are 2 things that are important to me: (1) I must keep my old number; and (2) I do not want my phone not to be working whilst any kind of switch over happens. 

So, can anyone tell me whether or not I really need to use the new SIM? The phone is still working fine with the old SIM (and old number), but I worry that come 12/3/21 (when the old contract would have come to an end) something will go wrong and I will not be able to use the phone with the old SIM and old number. 

Thank you. 

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 11 March 2021, 13:19

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Update: I didn’t get an answer on this forum, so went through ChatBot online and got to a human. the below is from the iD agent, and it answers the question. I did not ask (and cannot understand why) iD send out new SIM cards when there is no need to. It turns out that if you are an iD customer and move to pay monthly SIM only, you can keep your old SIM (and your old number) and the contract will change at their end. 

Deborah at 9:07, Mar 11:

I can confirm when doing an upgrade to a pay monthly sim card, your upgrade services are made active on on the old sim card. You can keep the new sim card as a spare sim card but you should be able to use the old sim card as normal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @MWh,

I can see you posted on the 10th at 13:22.

We aim to respond to queries in 72-hours but mostly within the first 24-48 hours.

We’re not a Live Chat service via this platform.

You can confirm you upgraded correctly if, when you log into the iD app/account, you can see the new SIM-only plan.

If you can’t, then you may have purchased a new contract instead of upgrading.

Providing you did, then I’ll move onto explaining this a little further.

When you upgrade, the system sends a new SIM regardless of if required or not.

The reason for this is in the past, customers upgrading may have previously lost their SIM, or upgrading to a phone where the new phone requires a different SIM Size, or have bought a new phone outright.

Rather than having to drive customers to contact to request a SIM, one is sent out by default.

This new SIM is inactive. You can carry on using your old SIM as normal.

Please do not activate the new SIM in error. When you log into the account, it may ask if you have received the new SIM and want to activate it, sometimes this is a pop-up. 

If you top okay/yes to this, you will activate the new SIM and services will swap over.

To be safer, it’s just easier to activate it and start using the new SIM. SIM swaps take around a couple of minutes up to an hour at most (more or less it’s immediate and just needs a restart).

You then don’t have to worry about this later, but if you chose not to, then keep the new SIM safe so you can access it in the future if you accidentally activated it.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thanks Mohammed. All makes sense. sorry to have jumped the gun by going off for live support. Perhaps worth thinking about explaining what you say above to customers before they get the new SIM.

I see that it is system default to send a new SIM just in case. Why not include a question to the customer to see if they need one? It would save the waste. “There’s no planet-B” and all that.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @MWh 

Sometimes a new SIM card is issued just in case the new SIM card is intended to be used in another phone; it allows you to change the size of it if the new phone uses a different size but as you have kept the same phone, it shouldn't be needed. Feel free to message us for any issues you may have.

-Mohsin

Why iD Mobile?