Solved

SIM Only Contract Expiry - Options

• 29 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Hi,

My daughters 24m SIM only plan comes to an end in early February. However, as she will be travelling at this time and not returning to the UK until mid-March, just wanting to check what the options will entail when the plan expires:

1. There is already the option to upgrade to a new phone. If she takes this option, will her current SIM remain active until mid-March to be used in her current phone, and then just need to be transferred to the new phone?
  2. If she decides to continue on a SIM only plan, again would plan just transfer to the current SIM, or would she receive a new SIM that would need to be activated?
  3. If she decided to wait until she returns back to the UK before renewing (i.e. do nothing), does the existing contract then change to a rolling 30 day SIM only? If so, will it be on the same basis as the existing contract?

Apologies for the multiple questions, but just want to make sure that she still has phone usage, if only for emergencies!!

Many thanks everyone.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 3 January 2023, 16:19

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @tonymccl 

With any upgrade (to a device or SIM only) a new SIM card will be sent out, however this SIM card is blank and will only be activated by the account holder via the iD Mobile website/app. The old SIM card will remain as the active one.

If nothing with the plan is changed and the minimum contract term expires the plan would stay as it is until the account holder decides to do something with it, such as a plan change or upgrade.

Tom

Tom,

Many thanks for replying, and my apologies for not acknowledging your response sooner.

Would it be possible to clarify that “If nothing with the plan is changed and the minimum contract term expires the plan would stay as it is until the account holder decides to do something with it, such as a plan change or upgrade”, then the contract would remain the same data/minutes/text but on a monthly rolling basis?

Many thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @tonymccl,

So if you made no change i.e. upgrading or changing plans, then when the contract expires, you just carry on receiving your same allowances at the price you agreed when you took out the contract.

So if you signed up to a 24-month contract at £20.00 a month, with unlimited minutes, texts and 15GB Data. Once the 24-month ends, you will carry on paying that amount.

You may find upgrading to a SIM only option better value in the case of phone contracts, since the phone would have been paid off after the 24th month.

Mohammed

So if you signed up to a 24-month contract at £20.00 a month, with unlimited minutes, texts and 15GB Data. Once the 24-month ends, you will carry on paying that amount.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, on expiry of he 24 month contract, could my daughter then continue paying the £20/month for a couple of months until she is back in the UK, and then change to either upgrade her phone or move to another SIM only plan? What she doesn't want is to be locked into another 24 months on the current plan.

Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That’s spot on @tonymccl,

She can carry on as she is and she will just be out of contract rolling on each month until she makes a change once she is back in the UK.

She wont’ be locked into another 24-months for not doing anything.

Mohammed

Many thanks for confirming Mohammed - very much appreciated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Many thanks for confirming Mohammed - very much appreciated. 

No problem @tonymccl,

Give us a shout if you have any other questions 😀

Mohammed

Sorry folks - another question on the same subject. If my daughter decided to wait until she returned to the UK, and stayed on her current plan payments, as it has effectively turned into a “rolling” monthly contract, how much notice would be required if she was looking to change provider?

Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @tonymccl,

Assuming she’s keeping the number, no notice fee needed.

Get a PAC code and use it to switch networks.

If not keeping the number you can do the same but with a STAC code.

OR you can provide 30-days notice to cancel.

Mohammed

Many thanks again Mohammed.

Why iD Mobile?