Solved

Upgrade to New Phone

• 4 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I have a sim only deal at the moment and would like to upgrade to a new iphone. I have read online that if i upgrade now i would have to pay part of current tariff, part of the new tariff and a whole month.

Am i right in thinking this could be a single bill of est £60 (rough costs based on £38.99 unlimited data) if i changed today. However my tariff is due for renewal on 17th of the month, and i make the upgrade then what would i have to pay as it would be at the start of my new monthly tariff. Would I just pay the £38.99 or would i get stung for 2 lots of bill.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 5 January 2021, 16:22

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @clubsceneuk2,

It depends on when you upgrade.

Let’s say your plan is £10.00 per month on your current SIM only deal and your bills cover line rental from the 5th of each month to the 4th of the following.

E.g. bill is produced on the 5th each month so this month is 05/01/21 - 04/02/21. The bill would be £10.00 (+ any charges but let’s ignore any out of plan usage etc and assume it’s just the monthly line rental).

If you upgrade tomorrow (06/01/21) to your new handset contract, then we’ve already billed you this month (covering 05/01/21 - 04/02/21) at £10.00 rate.

But your new plan is £38.99. 

We don’t produce a 2nd bill, instead, when your next bill is produced on the 05/02/21, we’ll charge you £38.99 for the period of 05/02/21 - 04/03/21 (the month in advance), but then we’d also re-calculate your last bill.

This will include a credit of the line rental from the 06/01/21 - 04/02/21 at the £10.00 rate, so just under 1 months line rental.

We’d then re-bill you for this same period but for the new plan rate of £38.99. So whatever this works out as, is what the correct charge would be.

Taking this charge and subtracting the credit provided will give you the amount we’d then add to your bill which is already £38.99.

I hope that makes sense.

It’s, therefore, better to wait till the end of the month, since the recalculation period is a lot less (e.g. 3 days before your next bill) when upgrading, if you wanted to avoid a big bill like so.

But it just means you’re waiting longer to upgrade also.

Upgrading earlier gets you the upgrade quicker but just means a bigger bill next month.

You’d still only pay the amount you’re due to pay so nothing more, nothing less, but gives you an idea of how it’s worked out.

Mohammed

Hi @Mohammed 

Firstly thanks for the reply. So in order to get this straight in my own mind please allow me to do the following.

I am billed 17th to the 16th of each month as this is when my data minutes etc reset @£11 a month.

Your advice would be to start a new contract around the 15th as this would then mean that the next bill would only be for the cost of the new contract. plus a couple of days.

Hope i understood you right. If this is the case would this be enough time for the system to acknowledge the new contract and bill me correctly?

Thanks Again

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @clubsceneuk2 

Orders are normally processed the very same day and you will be billed the day after your order has completed, so there would be enough time for the system to acknowledge your new contract.

I hope this helps.

Michelle 

Why iD Mobile?