Solved

iD data allowance usage DOUBLE data logged by Android

• 17 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a new Google Pixel 4a and I started a new contract with iD (‘upgrade’ to sim-only) on Sunday. My data allowance is reduced compared to pre-upgrade, so I’m keeping an eye on how much data I’m using.

I’ve updated the billing cycle in Android settings to match the iD billing cycle.

• Android has recorded 367MB of usage so far.
  • iD has recorded 879MB - more than double what Android has recorded!

I checked my allowances using My iD on my computer (so none of that app shenanigans).

Having researched this, I’ve seen various claims that the built-in data monitoring of phones isn’t accurate (though I have to wonder why: surely it should be the most accurate because all the data is being processed by the phone?) but surely even an inaccurate recording shouldn’t be out by this much?!

I have searched the Community for old articles. All I’ve found is people who didn’t set their billing cycle correctly, identified a 50MB discrepancy because of the iD app (but see above: I’m checking using my computer, not the app) or unanswered queries or mysteriously ending queries. So I’m asking afresh.

icon

Best answer by Ryan 9 December 2020, 16:24

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @smilerish,

Is the 367MB shown by your phone the full data usage i.e does it include all apps too? Also, it could be possible that some of the 879MB of data was used by your old phone before you used the SIM card in your new phone as the data usage doesn’t start as soon as the new phone has been used; it starts from the day of the upgrade.

Without viewing the account this could also due to the upgrade dates; your account as it stands may be displaying a pro-rata data allowance, especially if you have upgraded part way through a monthly cycle. The phone will only show data usage from when it was first used with the SIM card; let us know if your data allowance is showing the correct full amount and we will take this further to see what usage we can view from the back end of your account.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply, Ryan. 

Is the 367MB shown by your phone the full data usage i.e does it include all apps too? 

Yes, it’s the total amount.

Also, it could be possible that some of the 879MB of data was used by your old phone before you used the SIM card in your new phone as the data usage doesn’t start as soon as the new phone has been used; it starts from the day of the upgrade.

As I explained, the upgrade was a SIM-only deal. I purchased my new phone separately and it arrived before the SIM upgrade started, so all the data usage I’m referring to is with one phone - the new Pixel 4a.

What is interesting is that now, it seems the ‘tables have turned’! As of right now, my phone says I’ve used 1.06 GB since 15 November, while My iD is showing that I’ve used 1.02 GB. So maybe I’m just worrying over nothing! Certainly, as the month goes on the error seems to be much less significant.

Anyway, I’ve just ‘upgraded’ again because there was a slightly better deal for the same price in the Black Friday sales. So hopefully I shouldn’t be worrying about going over my allowance now!

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @smilerish,

Thanks for getting back in touch. How have things been since your post; does it all look ok as things stand?

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi @Ryan

All seems well now. As of now, my phone says I've used 1.80 GB while iD says I've used 1.75 GB. So potentially it's working slightly in my favour.

Thanks for following up!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @smilerish 

That is great to hear. Feel free to message us for any issues you may have.

Mohsin

Why iD Mobile?