Question

Short Code SMS delayed

• 6 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

Im finding all SMS short coded texts are delayed by approx 48 hours. These are all 2fa such as PayPal, Ring  Security and Monzo Bank. Obviously this is not great as I am locked out of these accounts. 

Has anyone got any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Jon1979 

Really these should be coming through fine by default, though in cases like this we can have our Tech Team look into this and usually get things resolved going forward.

We’ve sent you a private message on here now so that we can get details from you to locate your account.

Simply click on your profile icon in the top right, then go to your private messages.

Userlevel 1

We have the same problem on our account.  Some, but not all, incoming text messages from our friends are being delayed by anything up to 48 hours.  This is on an iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 12.4.8.  The previous SIM card was H3G’s, and the number has also been ported over from H3G recently.  Our experiments so far have shown that the text message delay occurs if and only if the phone is connected via “iD WiFi call” at the time the message was sent.  Additionally, if we try to send a text message FROM the phone when it is connected via “iD WiFi call”, the message is in fact sent (a second phone on Vodafone’s network receives it), but the iPhone reports send failure.  This happens regardless of whether or not a mobile signal is also present: the determining factor is whether or not the phone is currently connecting via “iD WiFi call”.  So we believe iD WiFi calling does not fully work with text messages (unlike H3G’s WiFi calling which also works with text messages) and WiFi calling should be turned off to make text messages work reliably (unless there’s some way to make the phone use WiFi calling for voice only and use the network for text messages, like Vodafone does, which would be useful in poor-signal areas).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ssb22,

Some of these issues may be resolved by doing the following:

1)    Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2)    Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3)    Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4)    If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5)    Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6)    Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”. 

Can you try this? I think this will fix the not delivered error when it is being sent.

You have said you’re having the same problem as the user above, however, confirmed this is for texting friends.

Please note, OTP texts are completely different to standard texts sent to friends/family.

Can you clarify if you are facing delays with OTP messages or just friends and families?

Try the above and let us know if your issue persists.

This above method won’t solve OTP issues.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thanks Mohammed.  Indeed the setting of “My Number” was incorrect, and correcting it fixed the issue.

It seems that, when we removed the H3G SIM card and inserted the iD SIM card, “My Number” was changed to the temporary iD number.  We expected it to be changed back to our old number once the PAC was processed, but this did not occur.  Changing it back manually fixed the issue.

And sorry for writing about this on the page about OTP SMS being delayed.  I found this page by searching for SMS delays on iD, and I did not know that OTP SMS is handled differently from SMS to and from friends, so I thought anything about SMS delays is the same problem.  At least people can now find information about both SMS-delay issues on the same page.  Thanks again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @ssb22,

Thanks for getting back in touch here, we’re glad to see that this fixed your issue.

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?