Use your phone for a hassle-free paperless holiday

Use your phone for a hassle-free paperless holiday
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Everything else is slowly going paperless, so why not streamline your holidays too? Before you arrive and can start relaxing, you have the stress of getting there. Nobody wants to lug around a folder full of printouts and travel docs - tickets, boarding passes, passport copies, itineraries. It’s just another thing at risk of being forgotten or left behind. Save yourself the hassle and do it all on your phone.

Most of us don’t go anywhere without our phones, so you might as well keep everything in one digital place and go paperless. It’s better for trees and it’s easier for you. Everyone wins! Here are some top tips for how to nail your paperless getaway.

Tickets and boarding passes

It’s a lot harder to leave paperless tickets at home by mistake. Better yet, adding your flight tickets or boarding passes to your phone is really straightforward. It keeps them just one or two taps away, saving you plenty of hassle when checking in.

Providing you’re using a participating airline, you can save your ticket to Google Pay as soon as you’ve bought the tickets. Then all you need to do is open the Google Pay app, open your wallet and show the barcode or QR code when you travel. If you’re on a Google Pixel phone, you can actually add a boarding pass just by screenshotting it.

Adding tickets to your iPhone or Samsung wallets is equally straightforward. You can either add them directly from the airline’s app or from an email.

Apps for lounge access

Why not treat yourself when you’re travelling? Go ahead, you’ve earned it. Getting into a lounge before your flight is like starting your holidays even earlier. Leave behind the usual chaos, put your feet up in style and travel like a VIP. The tricky part is knowing how to get in.

For Apple users, it’s even easier to access airport lounges. The LoungeBuddy app uses your phone’s location info to display your available lounge options. Some you can pay to enter while others are free when you own a certain credit card.

Airline apps

Having the app for the airline you’re flying with is another way to make sure things go smoothly – as you get all of your important flight information in one place. It beats sifting through a huge folder of travel documents to find out things like check-in and departure times and gate numbers. Apps will also keep you up-to-date about real-time delays, gate changes and more.

If you’re yet to book a trip, airline apps will let you book your flights directly. Even better, they’ll let you filter your searches to find the cheapest flights and help frequent flyers access perks and bonuses too.

Paying with your phone

Going paperless also means leaving the wallet behind. Your bank card is another thing that you can keep stored on your phone, just like your boarding passes. That means having all your cards in one handy wallet.

Just make sure the country you’re visiting supports contactless payments. Most destinations popular with tourists will offer contactless payments, but you should always take a credit card with you in case of emergencies. Also, it’s a good idea to let your bank know that you’re heading overseas – just so you can keep using your card without interruptions.

Navigation

Exploring is one of the best parts of going on holiday but getting lost when you don’t speak the language can be tricky. It’s always a good idea to have some help with navigation. This list of free navigation apps should come in handy for any trip you’ve got planned.

Whether you’re trekking on-foot or renting a car and hitting the road, Google Maps or Waze will keep you on the right track. They’ll give you directions wherever you are in the world. If you’re going somewhere without mobile data, you can even download the maps ahead of time and access them offline.

Giveaway Time!

To enter, simply tell us where your favourite holiday destination is, and if you fancy making us all super jealous, share your best holiday snaps too! Comment with or without a photo, and you're in the draw.

Simply write your response below and click reply. 

The closing date for entries is 23.59 (BST) on 18th August 2023. 

Good luck!

460 replies

Userlevel 1

Florida

Australia 

Userlevel 2

Wonderful, wonderful… Aberystwyth

Iceland, like nowhere else on earth. Amazing landscapes and scenery   

Nigeria

Vancouver, Canada

Userlevel 1

Paphos - Greece

SYDNEY Probably the best city in the world!!

Userlevel 1

Camping in Aviemore

Userlevel 2

Vienna

poland

Userlevel 1

Canary Islands 

Userlevel 1

Bulgaria is where I go every year, town called Sveti Vlas overlooking the ancient causeway of Nessebar in the black sea. Lovely sunshine, great food, cheap beer. What more would you want.

My favourite place is Sri Lanka though, going there was life changing. The food was amazing and the people so friendly and happy. Experienced releasing rescued baby turtles into the sea, an elephant orphanage and learnt to surf. So sad how things changed after covid.

Cancun

Jaz Aquaviva, Hurghada, Egypt!

Userlevel 1

Channel Islands, Guernsey in particular, beautiful!

Croatia 🇭🇷 

Everything else is slowly going paperless, so why not streamline your holidays too? Before you arrive and can start relaxing, you have the stress of getting there. Nobody wants to lug around a folder full of printouts and travel docs - tickets, boarding passes, passport copies, itineraries. It’s just another thing at risk of being forgotten or left behind. Save yourself the hassle and do it all on your phone.

Most of us don’t go anywhere without our phones, so you might as well keep everything in one digital place and go paperless. It’s better for trees and it’s easier for you. Everyone wins! Here are some top tips for how to nail your paperless getaway.

Tickets and boarding passes

It’s a lot harder to leave paperless tickets at home by mistake. Better yet, adding your flight tickets or boarding passes to your phone is really straightforward. It keeps them just one or two taps away, saving you plenty of hassle when checking in.

Providing you’re using a participating airline, you can save your ticket to Google Pay as soon as you’ve bought the tickets. Then all you need to do is open the Google Pay app, open your wallet and show the barcode or QR code when you travel. If you’re on a Google Pixel phone, you can actually add a boarding pass just by screenshotting it.

Adding tickets to your iPhone or Samsung wallets is equally straightforward. You can either add them directly from the airline’s app or from an email.

Apps for lounge access

Why not treat yourself when you’re travelling? Go ahead, you’ve earned it. Getting into a lounge before your flight is like starting your holidays even earlier. Leave behind the usual chaos, put your feet up in style and travel like a VIP. The tricky part is knowing how to get in.

For Apple users, it’s even easier to access airport lounges. The LoungeBuddy app uses your phone’s location info to display your available lounge options. Some you can pay to enter while others are free when you own a certain credit card.

Airline apps

Having the app for the airline you’re flying with is another way to make sure things go smoothly – as you get all of your important flight information in one place. It beats sifting through a huge folder of travel documents to find out things like check-in and departure times and gate numbers. Apps will also keep you up-to-date about real-time delays, gate changes and more.

If you’re yet to book a trip, airline apps will let you book your flights directly. Even better, they’ll let you filter your searches to find the cheapest flights and help frequent flyers access perks and bonuses too.

Paying with your phone

Going paperless also means leaving the wallet behind. Your bank card is another thing that you can keep stored on your phone, just like your boarding passes. That means having all your cards in one handy wallet.

Just make sure the country you’re visiting supports contactless payments. Most destinations popular with tourists will offer contactless payments, but you should always take a credit card with you in case of emergencies. Also, it’s a good idea to let your bank know that you’re heading overseas – just so you can keep using your card without interruptions.

Navigation

Exploring is one of the best parts of going on holiday but getting lost when you don’t speak the language can be tricky. It’s always a good idea to have some help with navigation. This list of free navigation apps should come in handy for any trip you’ve got planned.

Whether you’re trekking on-foot or renting a car and hitting the road, Google Maps or Waze will keep you on the right track. They’ll give you directions wherever you are in the world. If you’re going somewhere without mobile data, you can even download the maps ahead of time and access them offline.

Giveaway Time!

To enter, simply tell us where your favourite holiday destination is, and if you fancy making us all super jealous, share your best holiday snaps too! Comment with or without a photo, and you're in the draw.

Simply write your response below and click reply. 

Good luck!

​​​Riga, Latvia. If you haven't been add it to your bucket list now.

The amazing coastline of Northumberland.

Userlevel 1

If it's an abroad holiday on the aeroplane then for me it would have to be the USA.

Well it's the only way I can get a stress free flight on a business or first class seat so I don't get kicked from behind the economy seat 

Salou, Spain.

A bustling resort about 2 hours from the UK with lively and quiet areas, so you can dip in and out of the action as your mood takes you.

Loads of restaurants and bars covering all tastes and budgets - everything from the usual tourist style restaurants all the way up to Michelin star restaurants.

Lots of other towns and cities nearby to explore including Tarragona, Reus, Cambrils as well as Barcelona just over an hour to the north.

Lovely gently shelving sandy beaches from long stretches to smaller quieter cove beaches. There are lots of kids play areas as well. A large palm lined promenade runs parallel to the beach with lots of fountains (although due to a drought situation these are currently turned off ☹️).

There is huge theme park there called PortAventura, which also has Caribe waterpark and Ferrari land. In the neighbouring resort La Pineda you also have another waterpark called Aquopolis.

All age groups are catered for and nightlife on Avenida Carles Buigas is lively, but there are still large areas of the resort that are quieter at night.

These are some photos from my visit.

Userlevel 1

My favourite place in the world is Roscoff, France, on the coast of Brittany.

It doesn’t have the spectacular views of the mountains, it has no world famous landmarks, and it lacks any kind of night life, other than a meal in a cosy restaurant. But it does have the sea, constantly changing, a beautiful coastline dotted with rocky islets, and a tranquil island, the Île de Batz, that is a 15 minute ferry ride away. And the town itself is old, picturesque and charming. For me it’s the perfect place to unwind.

I try to go there at least once a year, with a friend who is equally devoted to the place, and I love the whole trip, from the minute we step onto the ferry that will take us there, to the time the return ferry docks. Perhaps my happiest moment is when I am preparing to disembark and I look across at the cluster of old granite buildings that make up the town, with the wedding-cake-tower of the church rising above the rest, and I know that the next few days are going to be just blissful. From then on, no matter what the weather, I know that we will enjoy ourselves. Whether we are walking along the seashore, picking up shells and pebbles, watching the wading birds scuttling like clockwork toys along the margins where sea meets sand; climbing the lighthouse on the island for a panoramic view of the tilled fields below, the sparkling waters of the bay and the pretty town on the further shore; or just sitting in a cafe enjoying a coffee or one of the local ciders, and watching the world go by, we make the most of every occasion.

I can’t wait to get back there in September!

Harbour, Île de Batz

Userlevel 1

Anglesey

Userlevel 1

Anglesey north wales

Userlevel 1

Blackpool. I enjoy the cleanness 

Why iD Mobile?