Solved

4g data rate vs Three

• 30 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Previous to joining iD I was on Three for over 10 years. 

same phone same location, on Three I was often getting 70mbs down 30mbs up during the day and throughout the evening, on iD I am getting upto 40 down and 13 up.

is there some kind of throttling going on on iD or mvno’s on Three in general?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 1 February 2023, 21:06

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Chris-net 

I’m sorry to hear that your speeds aren’t what they once were. Our data speeds aren’t capped compared to Three directly. We use the same masts as they do in order to provide signal, so this should be the same. It sounds like this could potentially be an ongoing outage in your local area.

Have you checked to see if there is any maintenance or unplanned outages this could be causing an impact with the levels of coverage: http://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support

-Lauren

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Lauren,

it’s been constantly like that since I joined ID a few years back. 

I’ve had my phone replaced by insurance a few times (broken on holiday) since I’ve been on ID so I know it’s not the handset as it’s been consistent on 3 examples of this iPhone X.

I may see if I can find someone on 3 and put their sim in my phone and check. 

During lockdown on 3 I was getting 70mbs down which worked great when our broadband was down. It’s disappointing to not get that speed now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Chris-net,

Have you checked the coverage in your area via our Coverage checker?

Let us know how you get on with the Three SIM speed test in your handset.

Kash

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Chris-net,

Let us know how you get on with the Three SIM speed test in your handset.

Kash

No,

having lived here a long time and with no issues on three between whenever the x came out and I joined ID I didn’t see the point in checking the coverage checker for 3 when I swapped sims. 

I did change my iD contract some months ago and got a new sim I didn’t use. Can a new dim from ID make a difference? I don’t know why I was sent a new sim as I kept the same number just changed tarif for more GB’s same money. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@Chris-net,

Kash

No,

having lived here a long time and with no issues on three between whenever the x came out and I joined ID I didn’t see the point in checking the coverage checker for 3 when I swapped sims. 

… I don’t know why I was sent a new sim as I kept the same number just changed tariff for more GB’s same money. 

I think @Kash may have meant to ask if you’ve checked for network FAULTS at your location?

Check FAULTS at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support.

Regarding receipt of a new iD SIM card when you change or upgrade your plan, iD send out an INACTIVE SIM card when you change or upgrade, in case the handset you’re planning to use with your changed or upgraded plan doesn’t accept the SIM card you’ve been using. 

Hope things improve - good luck @Chris-net

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Chris-net,

Kash

No,

… I don’t know why I was sent a new sim as I kept the same number just changed tariff for more GB’s same money. 

I think @Kash may have meant to ask if you’ve checked for network FAULTS at your location?

Check FAULTS at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support.

Regarding receipt of a new iD SIM card when you change or upgrade your plan, iD send out an INACTIVE SIM card when you change or upgrade, in case the handset you’re planning to use with your changed or upgraded plan doesn’t accept the SIM card you’ve been using. 

Hope things improve - good luck @Chris-net

Thanks

This has been the same way for the last few years so not a new issue.

the sim was cheap enough and data rate functional enough it wasn’t a problem.

just taken a walk about with my sim in an iPhone 12 Pro Max. The reception checker shows I should get 5g outside from ~100m down the road  and around throughout my walk but the phone didn’t show 5g, settings where set to 5g on and prefer more data on 5g, phone battery was 90% and not in low power mode, I frequently cycled airplane mode off and on, I saw a peak 4g of 55mbs.

im considering ditching vm broadband and hoped to get a mifi with id sim to cover until fttp is available here, or just tether to my phone for the duration.  

I’ll check a 3 sim and see how I get on.

thanks for the suggestions 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Chris-net 

Our signal shouldn’t be any different to what you’d get with Three UK, we share the same network. I’d recommend checking your area on the Network Status Checker.

Please let us know how you get on with this and let us know if you need anything else.

Tom

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Tom it’s been this way for years, read @andewhite comment above & my response. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Chris-net,

Have you checked the upload/download speeds you are currently getting?

Kash

Why iD Mobile?