Solved

april price rise

• 9 February 2023
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi I brought a new sim only 12 month contract last night (08/02/2023) and I saw in the small print about the April price increase. Will this price increase apply to me if I started my new contract after the 1st of February? My contract is £8 a month.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 9 February 2023, 10:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 1

@Mohammed , thank you for your answer, especially the last paragraph about purchasing after 1st Feb 23. I’m gonna go ahead and purchase the headset contract.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi I brought a new sim only 12 month contract last night (08/02/2023) and I saw in the small print about the April price increase. Will this price increase apply to me if I started my new contract after the 1st of February? My contract is £8 a month.

Yes it will we have just had a 13.4% increase I raised a complaint to either reduce the cost of cancel my contract without a termination fee, they declined and told me I had to pay £899 each ( I have two phones) so I went to deadlock looks like I'll be having a fun time with the ombudsman. 

This is incorrect as per the above, our SIM only plans are exempt from RPI/CPI increses.

For dates of if this would apply to you:

If you purchased between 1st November 2022 and 31st Jan 2023 then a CPI increase would be applicable.

If you purchased between 1st April 2020 and 31st October 2022 an RPI increase would be applicable.

If you purchased a 24-month handset contract After the 1st February 2023, then you would not be affected for the 2023 increase.

SIM only plans are exempt from this also.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

It would have been June 2022.

Userlevel 1

Yes it will we have just had a 13.4% increase I raised a complaint to either reduce the cost of cancel my contract without a termination fee, they declined and told me I had to pay £899 each ( I have two phones) so I went to deadlock looks like I'll be having a fun time with the ombudsman. 

When did you started your contract?

Userlevel 1

Yes it will (this is incorrect) we have just had a 13.4% increase I raised a complaint to either reduce the cost of cancel my contract without a termination fee, they declined and told me I had to pay £899 each ( I have two phones) so I went to deadlock looks like I'll be having a fun time with the ombudsman. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Mohammed ,

To follow up on this question, when does the price calculation happen in April?

I wanted to take phone contact as soon as I can but I would rather wait for the calculation period to finish as I can wait on my old pay as you go contact I have with Three.

Is it start of April? Is it like if I take a contract on 2nd I'll not be in subject of increase? Or more like any time in April and I should actually wait till May?

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks @Rob Wheatley 

Edit: this is not currently applicable to the CPI 2023 increase, but may be subject to one in the future as it’s reviewed annually. This is why this remains. 

Mohammed

Sure… here it is!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Rob Wheatley

Have you got a link to this or a screenshot so I can check further?

Possibly just a general wording clause that’s been added to all contracts as we don’t have separate terms & conditions for SIM only plans. 

SIM only plans are and have been exempt from RPI/CPI increases. 

*this may be subject to change in the future CPI Increases as this is reviewed annually

Mohammed

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reassuring answer. However, I note from the Ts&Cs of the “Get up to 50% Extra Data on Selected SIM Only Contracts” the line, “Monthly price may increase with Consumer Price Index (CPI) +3.9%.” Does this mean that taking up this offer will result in annual above inflation price rises, or does this signal a change in policy more generally, or neither?

Rob

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Joe.birks 

On a SIM only the RPI/CPI rate changes will not apply to you.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Brilliant thank you

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I don’t think so @Joe.birks - my iD SIM only contract never changed price.

Userlevel 1

So will the price of my contract rise in April or not?

thanks 

joe

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

There aren’t any annual price rises for an iD SIM only contract @Joe.birks.

It seems most UK mobile service providers have an annual price increase clause in their contracts - anyway, good luck. 

Why iD Mobile?