Question

Atrocious coverage, despite coverage map!

• 23 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Despite appearing to have 4G indoors and even 5G sat on my driveway, the actual signal is atrocious!
In my kitchen (which has line-of-sight to the mast!) I get intermittent service today, at best!

Some days it’s great, other days it’s unworkable and I end up with numerous missed calls.

The coverage map shows 4G as good indoors and 5G as good outside and yet neither is true of late!

Bizarrely, the best 5G signal I get is up on the moors, in the middle of nowhere - which is pretty useless when I’m trying to operate my business!

Not, by any means, what was promised! I had high hopes for IDMobile, but feeling very let down now.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Paul Watson,

Welcome to the Community!

You can check the link below to check the coverage in your area or the network status checker to see if there are any issues in your area.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage#coverage-info

If the checker shows no issues in the area and good coverage it may be worth trying the SIM in a different handset.

Please let us know how you get on and we can assist you further.

Kash

Hi Kash,

I do check the coverage map - as I said, it shows good 4G indoors and 5G outdoors.
There are never any issues showing on the network status checker either.

I’ve had the SIM in both a Pixel 6 Pro and a 4+ and it’s the same.

Even when I’m showing as getting 5G (stood on my driveway - which is pretty useless to me!) I rarely get speeds over 20Mps - definitely not what I signed up for. I thought BT was useless around here, but I did at least get a signal indoors!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Paul Watson 

I’m sorry to hear that, please could you let us know the postcode where you’ve had issues?

The coverage map is approximate so it is possible that the coverage would be exactly what is on there, should you find the coverage isn’t what you expect it could be worth exploring a return within your cooling off period.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Postcode is BD17 6NN.

As I say, the irony is that my phone often shows 4G & even 5G but the signal is very weak and the latency is very weak also, meaning a constantly interrupted signal.

It was OK up until very recently. We could get a fair (never good) signal in most areas of the house, but lately (the last week or so), it’s almost as if the signal power has been turned down!

I’m well out of “cooling off period”, sadly, and normally I could live with it, as I have wireless calling, but I lost broadband as well (due to a contractor cutting into the fibre!!) on Wednesday, so that has exacerbated the situation!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Paul Watson 

In the area of BD17 6NN I’d recommend using 3G/4G as the 5G signal appears to be weak, I’m not seeing any outages being reported in the area to suggest a change in signal recently, how long have you had issues in the area?

Was signal better before this?

Tom

Within 100m of my house, I can get a 5G signal. 
Both 4G & 5G are 1 bar at best, anywhere within the house and very sporadic - that’s the main issue - one minute there’s a signal, the next it’s gone!  This has been bad for about a week now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Paul Watson 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?