Question

Bereavement - cannot cancel!

• 6 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi. I wonder if I could get some advice on the following.

My mother passed away in September after a hard fought battle with cancer. When I contacted iD Mobile to cancel the contract, they advised me that as the contract was in ‘my name’, I could not cancel and the recently updated contract would have to be paid in full. This reminded me that many years ago as a birthday gift, I got my Mother a smart phone. After a year or so, I transferred the payment, email address and everything I thought I needed to, to my Mother. Despite explaining this to the chat advisor, there was no flexibility at all. I was so frustrated by the lack of what I thought was basic common courtesy and common sense I raised a complaint and waited for a response. No response has been received as yet and it’s been weeks. What I did get though was a message from my brother today, who visited my Mother’s empty house, with a picture of a Final Demand Notice from iD Mobile threatening to cut the phone off and send the debt to a debt collecting agency. I’ll spare the expletives, but hopefully you can imagine how I’m feeling.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards David

3 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry for your loss @David Mills
Unfortunately, you may have to hope the iD complaints team show more empathy in this situation. 

The iD complaints process allows 8-weeks for iD Mobile to resolve your complaint, or issue a letter of deadlock. If neither occurs within this 8-week time period, you can take your dispute to the Communications Ombudsman.

https://www.commsombudsman.org/how-we-can-help/mobile-phone-providers

Thank you andewhite. I’ll look into chasing up the complaint. I’m not even sure anything was logged as there’s no feedback / acknowledgement. Felt like I fired one of into an iD Mobile hole.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @David Mills 

I’m sorry for your loss and can understand how this would make you feel.

Unfortunately you have been advised correctly in this case, as the contract is in your name it is 100% yours and your responsibility.

Even if it was given to another person, it’s still in your name therefore you are the owner of it.

Sorry about this.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?