Question

Change sim-only to monthly

• 26 January 2022
  • 6 replies

I have a relatively recent unlimited minutes/data sim-only contract, rolling monthly. I want to change that to a 24 month contract including handset, for the Pixel 6. 

I have initially tried to do that by applying for that new (I’ll just switch the number via PAC code and cancel the sim-only, or maybe use it for a family member).

However, my credit check is failing for the new contract which seems to be from forum posts because I already have a contract? My credit score / history is excellent, so if it’s that it’d be a bit odd.

Should I just cancel my sim-only first?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Dan A,

You will not be able to move your number from one iD plan to another iD plan.

If you’ve had your existing iD SIM plan long enough, you could try to upgrade that via your iD My Account online to the 24-mopnth contract and phone you’d like. 

Have you looked in the app or iD My Account to see if you’re eligible for an upgrade?

I’d advise against repeated attempts to get a new contract, as this will show up in the credit reference agencies data, and is likely to affect any other applications you make, which require a credit check.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for your reply. 

I don't think I've had it long enough, no. It's a rolling 30 day contract, so I don't really have the restriction of being tied into it. 

In that case, I guess I'll cancel the iDMobile plan and take out a contract with another provider and get the PAC for the number. Seems a shame for iDMobile not to be able to take the custom. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes indeed @Dan A, although I don’t think any UK networks allows you personal customers to move a number between different contracts on their own network.

Maybe business customers can do this, but iD don’t offer business plans.

Anyway, good luck. 

Okay, thanks.

I’m assuming there’s no way to find out if the failed credit check was actually me putting something in wrong, like it failed to check my identify correctly?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Well @Dan A, more often than not, it’s a minor mismatch on name or address.

Sadly, no way of knowing, unless you ask for your credit file from the agency iD are using perhaps.  

For future reference, I tried to do this again with iDMobile, checking all details with a fine toothcomb. The credit check inexplicably failed again, so I couldn’t risk doing another.

I’ve transferred away from iDMobile to a different provider, where the credit check passed quite happily.

I guess this is one of the problems with a provider that have no proper customer support to speak to.

Why iD Mobile?