Solved

Charged for data roaming in Norfolk !!

Userlevel 1

Please could someone explain why I should be charged for data roaming on 2 of our phones while on holiday this week in Norfolk, England.  How can this happen? Surely I shouldn’t be changed and how do I go about getting this corrected ?

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 20 June 2023, 00:50

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @NC77,

Welcome to the Community!

That is strange indeed. Did you use a boat whilst you were there?

Let us know and we can advise further.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi Kash,

No, we didn’t go on any boat trips, just dog walking along the beaches at Sheringham, Norfolk, most days. I have 3 sims with ID Mobile and 2 of them have been charged £5 each for data roaming. It doesn’t state which county I was roaming in though. 
The phone signal is very poor in the area but I wouldn’t expect to pick up a roaming signal in England. That doesn’t make any sense. 
many ideas? Can we check which country it thought I was in?

Userlevel 1

Hi @Kash 

No, we didn’t go on any boat trips, just dog walking along the beaches at Sheringham, Norfolk, most days. I have 3 sims with ID Mobile and 2 of them have been charged £5 each for data roaming. It doesn’t state which county I was roaming in though. 
The phone signal is very poor in the area but I wouldn’t expect to pick up a roaming signal in England. That doesn’t make any sense. 
many ideas? Can we check which country it thought I was in?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It is possible to roam onto a European network while still at home here in the UK. I think it’s something to do with the air pressure at the moment which is causing people to connect to networks in France while in the south of the UK, don’t think it’s necessarily iD Mobile’s fault.

Userlevel 1

Hi @WelshPaul 

thanks for your input and this could well be possible, 
but I have data roaming set on on my account and on my phone and so I shouldn’t be charged when roaming - so more confusion from this perspective. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Indeed @NC77! I wonder if you connected to a Boat that was out at sea? Has the bill been generated yet? Does it not say where the charge comes from?

Userlevel 1

The bill only shows data roaming with the minimum charge of £5  

it doesn’t mention the country or other roaming site/entity

do you think it will list this information on the final bill?  That’s in 2 days time 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It costs £9.60 a MB when roaming on a Ship, Ferry or Cruise Liner. Given you’ve been charged £5.00 for 533kb of data this fits with that charge.

£5.00 ➗533 ✖️1024 = £9.60

My guess here is that a Ship, Ferry or Cruise Liner was sailing by and the recent weather likely carried their mobile signal further than usual and you connected to it very briefly. I would wait for the final bill to be generated and see what it says and then maybe speak to iD Mobile about it. As it stands, we can only speculate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @NC77,

We can check what the roaming usage was for as we’re able to identify which mast the connection was made to. Likely to be what @WelshPaul  has advised.

The final bill will simply state Roaming only.

But we’re able to check this from our end if required.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi @Mohammed 

i now have the final bill and it shows as “Rest of World Roaming”. 
I would be grateful if you could check your system to see what it actually relates to.
Many thanks

Neil  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@NC77,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

have had this too - happening at cromer, west runton and sheringham by the looks of it. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

have had this too - happening at cromer, west runton and sheringham by the looks of it. 

High pressure system currently over the UK means radio signals from passing vessels (with satellite based onboard mobile networks), are probably making landfall in that area @stcom

The shipping routes to/from the Humber estuary appear close to coastline in Sheringham / Cromer area.

How much were the roaming charge/s for the incident/s?
Guessing iD would refund these charge/s if you contacted iD customer services.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @stcom 

I’ve seen and commented on your other post about this, have you been charged extra?

Tom

Why iD Mobile?