Solved

Charged for data while in the UK

• 28 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi, I was in Norfolk, near Sheringham last week and I was charged for data roaming while I was walking along the coast. I did get a text warning me but unfortunately didn’t actually read it until I had already used the data. I have a cap in place so its not too much money, but I would just like to know how this can happen when I haven’t left the country. I have seen that some other people have had this happen in the Cromer area, which is close to where I was. Is there some kind of issue specific to this area?

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 30 July 2023, 13:30

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Judging by similar forum topics, it appears iD Mobile users sometimes connect to the onboard (satellite based) mobile network services of vessels offshore in that area. 

Probably best to contact iD Mobile customer service for a refund @AndyDM.  

There wasn’t a lot of shipping, certainly no ferries or cruise liners - no port nearby. There are some windfarms though - I wonder if they use a satellite mobile service for comms and its possible to connect to that?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I guess it might be possible @AndyDM - previous posts in this forum, suggest other iD Mobile have experienced this billing issue in your area. 

It doesn’t seem plausible to be charged for roaming while in Norfolk, so perhaps it’d be best to contact iD Mobile customer service for a refund @AndyDM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @AndyDM,

This can happen when you have automatic network selection turned ON as the device connects to the strongest/closest available network which in this case was likely a non-inclusive one.

Another factor is not having a spend cap of £0.00.

If you cap the plan, this would prevent the charges from ever being incurred since a connection can’t be made due to the charges imposed.

It does sound to be the case as @andewhite  has advised above.

If you want, we can send you a PM to check this futher and review the usage and see if there’s anything that can be done.

Mohammed

Hi @Mohammed, it would be good if you could send a PM - at the least it would be interesting if we could find out which network it connected to - its never happened to me before in the UK and when abroad in the UK I’ve always been connected to a network with roaming included.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @AndyDM 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

To jump on this I have also been charged for roaming outside of the UK. I was in east runton, close to Cromer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Craig024,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?