Question

Charges for RECEIVING MMS messages?

According to the documentation I can find, you are only charged for sending MMS messages but I have been charged for receiving two messages this morning that contained images. 

Anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Check the senders number isn’t an 07 premium rate service, nor a phone-paid MMS shortcode.

There’s more about these type of phone-paid services on the PSA website.

Here’s what OFCOM say:

Looks like a standard mobile number, starting 07, but so does my number.  I thought premium rate numbers started 09.  I also have the premium feature turned off.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

There are some 07 non-standard mobile number ranges.

Have you unknowingly signed-up for a phone-paid service?

Are the these MMS messages from one of your contacts, or from another source?

A text each from two friends in the village sharing photos of moths.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

An MMS from someone in your contacts should be free to receive. 

It seems like iD Mobile have billed you incorrectly @Alan Pearman.
Someone from iD Mobile will need to look at your iD account in order to sort this out.

The fastest ways of ‘speaking’ to iD to resolve issues are:

1. Use the online chat service at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat.
    The iD agents work until 8pm on weekdays (and until 6pm at weekends).
  2. Alternatively, send a private message to the iD social media team by using facebook (using Messenger), or Twitter (by DM). They'll also be able to assist.

Good luck 🍀

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.  I have tried to get live chat but keep getting the chatbot which is not helpful!  I will keep trying and if not then I will try the social media route.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Alan Pearman, you can avoid the (annoying) iD chat bot - just type “talk to a person”, after you get connected.
🤞

Thanks for the tip: it worked and the agent says it looks like I was charged because I replied to the message even though I didn’t send an image.  They have raised a complaint for me.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

A “Reply” to an MMS wouldn’t send the image back to the sender.

You’d need to “Forward” the MMS to send the message’s image to the ‘new’ recipient.

Does seem odd needing to make a complaint in order to get this resolved - anyway, good luck @Alan Pearman.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for the tip: it worked and the agent says it looks like I was charged because I replied to the message even though I didn’t send an image.  They have raised a complaint for me.

Hello @Alan Pearman 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?