Question

Complaint JULIAN D

• 6 October 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello

I have a complaint regarding an ID Mobile account I set up for 24 months in July 2018 which continued to take money after the 24-month contract expired and then sent me a letter dated 25 Sep 2020 saying that if the outstanding balance of £14.71 on my ID account was not paid, they would be handing the ‘debt’ over to a debt collection agency. I am appalled for a number of reasons I will try and set out below.

1. First of all, the 24-month contract had finished. ID took another payment on 12 August.
  2. In Feb 2019 my wife was admitted to hospital for mental health reasons. Her phone was lost or stolen shortly afterwards to I contacted ID Mobile for advice and to ask that they suspend the number to avoid the phone being used by anyone else. This would prevent further charges to the account above and beyond the amount of the contract. I was told they would do this but that I would have to continue paying the remainder of the  24-monthly payments but afterwards the contract would end. I was prepared to do this, though unhappy, given the circumstances and lack of any understanding. Clearly, ID Mobile didn’t keep to their word because they are now threatening me for non-payment of something which has been paid, and my actions in good faith. As it happens, my wife remained in hospital until March 2020 (13 months), and she was without a phone for the entire period. Also, when I contacted ID Mobile shortly after my wife’s phone disappeared, ID Mobile said I didn’t have phone insurance so the phone could no be replaced, therefore the only thing to do was to disconnect the line. I discovered recently that there was insurance bought at the time of the start of contract.
  3. I received the ID Mobile letter dated 25/09/20 giving me 7 days to pay from the date of the letter. I received it in the post on Friday 2nd October. In effect, the ‘outstanding balance’ had to be paid that same day I received the letter, which is hardly fair given what has happened. I find it hard to believe that the letter sat in the post for 7 days.  Even if it were posted on 25 September, with nobody to speak to about it and the threats contained therein, it is in my opinion completely unwarranted and unfair.
  4. Given the above, and being extremely worried because of the threats and my wife’s serious mental health condition, I entered into  ID Mobile online chats about the situation described above. 4 Days have elapsed since the two chats and I have not to date received the online chat transcript (which I believe ID Mobile should have sent me, especially as I had asked for them and also pressed the request/send chat button). Therefore, I feel ID Mobile are making what is a very worrying situation worse. I was told on the chat that the situation would be dealt with quickly and that no more payments would be taken and the letters would stop. However with nothing in writing from them, this holds little comfort to me.
  5. I would hope that ID Mobile would show some expediency and compassion here. There seems to be no accountability and I really don’t have time to be forever contacting ID Mobile with this since my focus is on my wife  and she is vulnerable.
  6. I would like ID Mobile’s to resolve this awful situation especially given the circumstances.  Julian D

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Julian Mark 

It does state in the Terms and Conditions of all our SIM’s that you need to contact us to make us aware of any changes you wish for regarding your active subscription with us.  This is the case with all networks too, not just ourselves.

Most people these days cherish their mobiles numbers so would not wish to potentially lose them.  We contact customers by various means around a month before their contract is about to end to make them aware that there contract will remain ongoing as a rolling 30-day contract unless they make amendments.

If they wish to cancel they’d need to contact us (here or via our Live Chat Team on our website).  Or using the iD Mobile app they can switch their plan over to a SIM-only plan of their choosing if desired too.

Regarding the insurance aspect.  We don’t have insurance available through ourselves.  Though if you had that with Carphone Warehouse or through Home Contents Insurance or something like that then of course you would have had the option to speak to them directly about any phone replacement.

Regarding the disconnection request which is clearly your desire here though, we’ve sent you a message on here privately so that we can take some further details from you to help with that.

Simply click on your profile icon in the top right, then go to your private messages.

Why iD Mobile?