Solved

Data only Sim

• 30 April 2022
  • 2 replies

I read, that your answers a year ago, and then five days ago, that you did not have a ‘Data only Sim’.

Still none ? ..  so . . if I contract/buy a Sim, in order to register it in a mini Huawei router for an iPad, what, if anything, does it require to initially register/work - and for, say 100GB, would that mean it would not be as fast as ‘Data only’ or speed throttled, and what would happen if used in the EU ?

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 2 May 2022, 15:44

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Me2, we still don’t offer data-only SIMs, but our SIM-only plans still offer tremendous value when compared to other providers. They just so happen to include unlimited minutes and texts, too. 

We don’t list any portable routers on our compatible devices list, so they’re not officially supported, but lots of customers use them without a problem.

If you do go ahead and purchase a SIM, you may wish to pop it in a mobile phone first so that all the services are correctly provisioned. For EU roaming, you’d need to ensure the Roaming feature is enabled in your iD Mobile account. I’d recommend contacting Huawei to see if you’d need to enable anything on the device itself.

You can find the full list of EU inclusive roaming destinations here.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

While you can use a phone SIM in a modem/router it's worth mentioning that there is a difference between a data SIM and phone SIM...

A data SIM will have a real IP address assigned to it, and you will be able to use additional features such as port forwarding. Phone SIM's tend to make use of CGNAT and so you can't port forward etc.

100GB really isn't a lot of data when used in a router as a home broadband replacement. Speeds will be the same regardless if using a phone or data SIM unless your with Vodafone. Vodafone are the only one's who speed cap some of their plans! 

Why iD Mobile?