Question

Data Roaming Fair Use Policy in France (I'm a student)

• 19 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi, I am a student studying in France with an unlimited data use, 12 month plan, paying £15/month. I’ve just received a text informing me of excessive roaming data usage. I have been in France for 3 months. I am back in the UK for Christmas but will be returning to France in mid January. The ID fair usage policy says that as long as I can show strong links with the UK, (bank statement or bill), all will be OK. My question is, how and who do I send this evidence to to prove these strong ties to the UK, before I get hit with a big bill? I expect to be back and forth between UK and France until Summer 2025. Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Your inclusive roaming data allowance is 11.58GB/month.

If you’re abroad, in an inclusive roaming destination, for an extended period you run the risk of being caught out by the iD Mobile fair usage policy, which implies that in any given 4-month period, you’ll need to use your handset in the UK, more than you use it abroad.

Good luck @stirlingt1965

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @stirlingt1965,

Welcome to the Community!

I hope the information @andewhite has provided is helpful and answers your query.

If you require further assistance, please let us know here and we can help you out.

Kash

Kash, @andewhite , sorry I’m not sure the question was answered. I am aware of the fair use policy and its contents. My question was really asking who I need to send evidence of my close ties to the UK to, i.e. a bank statement. In doing so, my understanding is that any surcharges will be waved. I would like to get this all in place before I get a big unexpected bill.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Not sure to whom and how you’d submit your proof of strong ties to UK @stirlingt1965.

I think the iD Mobile billing system wouldn’t be able to handle an exception for exceeding your fair usage inclusive roaming data allowance, so you’d be charged irrespective of any proof provided, and you’d need to get a refund.

Maybe the policy makers at iD Mobile can explain exactly how billing for roaming mobile data usage would work in your case @stirlingt1965 - anyway, good luck.

@Kash, do you have any more information that could help me? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@stirlingt1965,

Sorry I can’t provide the answers at the moment.

We’ll get this escalated to the relevant team and get back to you with an update.

Thanks for your patience.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?