Question

Data unusable due to congestion

• 18 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

In my hometown, the 4G and 5G data is slow to the point of unusable. It’s been getting noticeably worse in recent months. Today for example I’ve had to move my car from the car park I’d planned to park in because the mobile app simply will not load, and I didn’t have cash. WhatsApp messages won’t send. Web pages hang. 
Macclesfield, Cheshire. Currently in the train station just so I can use the WiFi. SK116JP. 
Tried changing various settings. Works on data elsewhere. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Cwatki123 

Sorry to hear this, using the given postcode on the outage checker gives this message;

Is this the only postcode you have issues in or multiple?

Please provide any other postcodes or check them on the coverage/outage checker.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom,

thanks for your reply. 
It’s around that general are where it’s worst, but that’s the town centre where you’d expect the coverage to be best? 
The coverage checker is understating the problem quite a bit by saying ‘varying data speeds’ when in reality it should say ‘non-existent data speeds’. 

Why does the network (I appreciate it’s Three) continue to recruit customers in this area if it knows there are issues? If I bought a TV and the supplier had already sold more TVs than it physically had available I’d be entitled to my money back, but this doesn’t apply for mobile sims it would seem? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Cwatki123 

We wouldn’t (nor would anybody) stop somebody from purchasing a plan if the coverage is expected to be weak in their areas, it’d be completely up to the customer if they’d like to purchase or not, the coverage checker itself is an approximation, all iD Mobile plans have the option to return early on in the plan based on being unhappy with the signal itself.

I see you’ve mentioned you’ve had issues in the area for months, when did this begin(ish)? How was coverage here before this date?

Tom

Userlevel 1

The coverage itself isn’t the issue. The coverage checker shows strong 4G and 5G signal, which in theory it is. I usually have four bars for both, most of the time around the town. It’s when I come to access data that the issues become apparent. 
I previously left O2 for the same reason - perhaps Macclesfield is just a bit of a black hole for mobile data networks? 

The data was generally good up until maybe a year ago, but it’s been getting progressively worse. Perhaps due to many people leaving O2 for Three after they were transferred from Virgin’s previous arrangement with EE and Vodafone (as I mentioned, O2 is terrible around here). 

I have to say, somewhat ironically, despite local residents’ complaints about the issues with accessing data, a recent plan by Three to put up a new mast was strongly rejected by the community (myself not included) so perhaps the issue isn’t entirely Three’s fault…

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Cwatki123,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?