Question

Does the iphone se come with a 24 month warranty?

• 13 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi, please tell me if the iPhone se comes with a 24 month warranty to cover me through the whole contract period. 
Thanks 

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Tom Callingham,

The iPhone SE comes with 12 Months warranty as provided by the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Kash

Userlevel 1

Manufacturing liability sits with the seller for the following periods:

England and Wales: 6 years from date of delivery
Scotland: 5 years from date of delivery

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @gruntfutuk,

We can confirm that information isn’t true. Apple products have a 12 month warranty period. No product we, or any other network sell is covered for 6 years as standard. The 6 years in this instance is how long a customer has to be able to take the seller to court in order to dispute how they have upheld the 12 month warranty (12 month mentioned in column two of the same chart the 6 years is mentioned, snip below) if the customer feels it has not been upheld correctly.

@Tom Callingham asked specifically how long the warranty of an Apple handset was, all Apple handsets have a 12 month warranty, as per the image above.

Hope this has cleared up any confusion.

Will

Userlevel 1

I am aware the ask was about the warranty but it is also worth reminding people about the STATUTORY rights, which have NOTHING to do with how well the manufacturer met their warranty obligations.

This right exists in UK law and cannot be removed by any terms and conditions from a retailer/reseller.

ID are bound by the same laws as every other business selling such products to UK consumers.

There is an obligation after a reasonable period on the consumer to prove there is a manufacturing fault that existed when the product concerned was new. This generally requires an independent expert  report other than when a common problem becomes widely known.

The obligation is between the retailer/reseller and the consumer and not between the manufacturer and the consumer.

For avoidance of doubt, there is no right to repair for 6 years (5 in Scotland).

See: The Consumer Rights Act (CRA) 2015

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

Some discussion: https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/faulty-appliances-consumer-rights-act/

EDIT: typos, clarification statement, links to legislation and discussion about it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @gruntfutuk,

Just a couple of things sorry:

“This right exists in UK law and cannot be removed by any terms and conditions from a retailer/reseller.

ID are bound by the same laws as every other business selling such products to UK consumers.”

Nowhere has it been advised otherwise, I’m advising that no product is covered for 6 years as standard due to relevant UK Law. As advised, if during the warranty period, the seller has failed to uphold their responsibility, the buyer has the aforementioned 6 years from the point of delivery to make a claim about this.

“There is an obligation after a reasonable period on the consumer to prove there is a manufacturing fault that existed when the product concerned was new. This generally requires an independent expert  report other than when a common problem becomes widely known.”

It was previously a “reasonable period” under the Sales of Goods Act, however the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which replaced SOGA changed this period to a set 6 months. Before the first 6 months, the onus is on the seller to prove the product wasn’t inherently faulty, after that, it is the responsibility of the customer to prove otherwise by getting the handset assessed by the manufacturer and providing an engineers report to that affect. If the handset is faulty within the first 30 days of delivery, it is assumed immediately that the fault was inherent, and an exchange or refund offered by the seller.

“The obligation is between the retailer/reseller and the consumer and not between the manufacturer and the consumer.”

Absolutely, I don’t think anybody is disputing that. However it is Apple that set the parameters of the warranty, and it’s those stipulation, such as the 12 month expiry date, that we the seller uphold.

Again, I hope this clears everything up. If you do need any more advice though, we’re always happy to provide it.

Will

Edit:

Just for added clarity, Here is a link to Which? Magazine (Independent Consumer Advice publication) that breaks down the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and specifically touches on the 6 year point:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

Here is a relevant snip from the article:

Userlevel 1

You seem to be agreeing with me whilst suggesting otherwise.

The reasonable period is 6 months. (Not everyone would agree that is reasonable.)

Anyway, let's leave it there. People can make up their own mind.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @gruntfutuk,

I’m just making it very clear and not at all ambiguous as to exactly how long an Apple handset is covered for under warranty and existing UK Consumer Law. The last thing we want at iD Mobile is for people to misunderstand their consumer rights.

Take care!

Will

Userlevel 1

I agree completely, which is why I provided the link to the The Consumer Rights Act (CRA) 2015 earlier in the conversation, so people can make up their own mind. I don’t practice law currently, IT pays much better.:grinning:

Why iD Mobile?