Solved

Does WiFi and 4G Calling Work Differently on iD?

• 11 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi

Am interested to know how WiFi and 4G calling is working (or not) for others. My device is a Google Pixel 6.

On my old network, if I'm somewhere where I have WiFi and its signal is stronger than the network's, the outgoing and incoming calls will automatically switch to the WiFi signal. I've noticed on iD however that it only switches to WiFi when there's no network signal - I did a test to see if WiFi calling would work by switching to aeroplane mode and switch WiFi on. As soon as I come off of aeroplane mode, calls would route back through the network signal even if WiFi was stronger. Is this normal behaviour on iD?

4G calling doesn't seem to be working either, or at least not how I expect from my experience on previous network. Previously I would know that I was utilising 4G calling because there would be an HD icon next to or under the phone number. In the history it would also show this HD icon next to the calls that used 4G calling.

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 12 April 2023, 09:52

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

iD mobile only allow access to WiFi calling if you have very low to none signal strength (most networks do tbh).

4G calling doesn't seem to be working either, or at least not how I expect from my experience on previous network. Previously I would know that I was utilising 4G calling because there would be an HD icon next to or under the phone number. In the history it would also show this HD icon next to the calls that used 4G calling.

You cannot make a traditional phone call over 4G or 5G, only VoLTE calls are possible. If VoLTE isn’t working you fall back to 3G to complete a call.

While in a call, should you:

• Drop back to 3G - VoLTE is NOT working
  • Remain connected to 4G or 5G - VoLTE IS working

SIMPLES!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Benni037,

It may also be down to how 4G Calling shows as it’s different for each network.

Some shows 4G Calling when on a call, some say VoLTE etc

But as @WelshPaul stated, this is a good test to know if 4G Calling is working.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?