Question

Extra charge for receiving a TXT message

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

So I’ve recently moved from Vodafone to ID, and today I’ve noticed on my bill I’ve got extra charge for TXT message £12.34, message is domestic and message was sent from UK mobile number, when I’ve checked this number in my contacts it’s number from my agency (UK mobile number), so when I’m booked in for work in our booking system, I’m receiving a TXT message (with a link) and email. Then I’m logging in to the booking system to confirm the shift, you not sending any txt message to this number as there will be no reply, so I’m just wondering, why am I charged for receiving a txt message and it’s mean now that every time I’ll be booked in for work and receive a text message, I’ll pay for that message, despite I’ve received it not send it. 

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It doesn’t sound right @Luk45z.

I think you need an iD agent to look at your iD account and explain the charges to you.

Contact iD using online chat at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat.

The agents work until 8pm weekdays. 
Type ‘talk to a person’ once you’re connected on chat.

Alternatively, get assistance from iD Mobile using facebook (Messenger), or Twitter (by DM).

Userlevel 1

Reply form the chat (maybe will help someone)

Looking into the account, I can confirm that the text message received from the number ………… is classified as a mobile terminating text. These are texts that are sent to you when you have accepted certain terms and cookies when visiting a website, and because of this, each time you receive a text from the subscription number, you would be charged.

What we can do on our end to prevent this form happening in the future is set your CAP to £0.00 so that no more out of plan charges can occur.

That is the first time I've seen something like this, been with Vodafone before and I was never charged for receiving this kind of message, I’m glad I’ve noticed that, as I’m receiving those kind of messages like 10-20 a month times £12 imagine my bill at the end of the month. How you can charge someone for receiving a TXT message, just wondering if other network providers do this practise as well? I’m not happy about it.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If this is from your workplace shift booking system, maybe the company providing the online shift booking system have an arrangement with Vodafone, to waive any SMS delivery charges.

What does your employer and the shift booking system company advise?

Userlevel 1

TBH, I didn’t spoke with them about that as I’ve never seen something like this, that by receiving a message from UK mobile number I’m being charge for it and I doubt that booking system company has some arrangement with Vodafone to waive SMS delivery charge

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Paying a subscription for SMS delivery of information used to be very popular in the UK @Luk45z

I’m sure there are still subscription SMS services available.

Maybe just get an email alert for your shift booking confirmation, or go back to Vodafone if you want SMS alerts. Most smartphone email apps will popup a notification on new email in your inbox.

Anyway, good luck @Luk45z.

Userlevel 1

Well it’s not a subscription service, I’m not paying for it to receive SMS when I’m booked in for shift. Coming back to Vodafone will be a bit complicated, as I traded in my old phone for upfront payment, so if I’ll comeback I’ll be without the phone and I’ll have to buy new one. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

The fact you’re paying to receive SMS alerts from this shift booking system now, suggests it is a paid for service. Can’t you turn off the SMS alerts, and just keep the email alerts about your shifts?

Userlevel 1

If it was a paid service, I would be informed about it, when I’ve signed up to this agency and think a lot of other ppl working for this agency wouldn’t sign up knowing that they’ll have to pay £12 for every message they receive when booked in for shift. No there is no way to turn off the SMS alerts, only way to do it is by changing the number in settings, so it’s mean changing the contact. 

About 20min ago I’ve received SMS that I was booked in for a shift next week, luckily my cap it’s set up for £0 now, will see if I’ll be charged for today’s SMS

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I think I saw the system vendor has an online support article advising how to turn off SMS alerts but, I guess it might ultimately depend on the company that’s using the system vendor’s package.

Maybe the system vendor’s package doesn’t recognise MVNO service providers like iD Mobile.

That said, it does seem odd you’ve actually received an SMS shift alert with your bill cap at £0. This suggests you shouldn’t have been charged for the shift alerts you received when your bill cap was not £0.

Good luck @Luk45z

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

What is the first five digits of the “mobile number” you’re receiving the texts from?

Userlevel 1

What is the first five digits of the “mobile number” you’re receiving the texts from?

It’s 07418 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Looking up the Rangeholder for said number range returned the following results:

I tried entering a few numbers into iD Mobile’s number lookup but it breaks it (well for me it does). Try entering the number and see if it returns any pricing info? Could be iD Mobile haven’t added the number range to their backend systems and so you were incorrectly charged.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/call-charges

Userlevel 1

I’ve tried entering the number in that link you provided, but gives me no results, but according to that table Rangeholder is Tismi BV as it’s 074183. I’ve spoke with someone on the chat support and my cap was set up now to £0 so I won’t be charged for those incoming messages.. I hope

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I found this thread over on the GiffGaff Community…

https://community.giffgaff.com/d/20146036-07418-numbers

Userlevel 1

Look like my agency and their booking system using a “premium” number, but it’s strange that when I was with Vodafone and having cap set up to £20, they never charged me for receiving SMS from this number, but ID Mobile does.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I think 074183 is a UK mobile number unlike 074184.

https://messaggio.com/messaging/carriers/uk/tismi/

iD Mobile will need to investigate this one...

Userlevel 1

Don’t think ID will do anything with this, as it’s making money for them for ppl that are unaware of it, that they are charged for receiving TXT from this number, it’s not only me noticed that, there is another Topic from user @cazzaivor, that been charged £12 for receiving a TXT 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Luk45z 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?